T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting out and work at night from my home. Someone ordered shirts for a birthday party this weekend. My deadline is tomorrow and I do not know what to charge. My brother recommended my service, the order is for my brothers friends boyfriend who is having a party to celebrate his girlfriends birthday.

I've never met him and all communication has been through my brother. He wants 12 shirts, various sizes and my brother emailed me a picture they want printed on the shirt. I printed it on transfer paper and sent them a picture of the heat pressed image on a tshirt. The guy never asked for prices and approved the image on the shirt.

I'm going to finish printing tonight and have no idea what to charge. We live near NYC and I used transfer paper I had in stock as well as some white t-shirts I had left over from another job. Can someone please give me an idea of what to charge?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
A quick estimate might be: $2 for the transfer, $1 for the ink, $2 for the shirt. $5 total materials. Double that for a mark up. $10 plus $2-$4 per shirt for your labor.

If it was for a friend I'd probably do them for $12 each, since it's 12 shirts. If it was just one I'd charge $18.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We spent about 30-45 minutes cleaning up the picture before we were able to print it on the transfer paper. The shirts I used are Next Level for mens and Bella for women. Not sure if these two things should be factored into the price.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
My opinion about artwork is if I can spend half an hour to 45 minutes cleaning something up to make a print look really nice as opposed to sort of...meh, it's worth that time in the repeat business and word of mouth advertising the customer will provide. No matter who's fault it is, if a customer doesn't like the shirts it's bad for business.

Another benefit to cleaning up "artwork" without being asked is that you don't have to let anybody else use it. If a customer's brother says he'll do a reprint for half my price and can I please forward the art, the customer's brother gets the same low res image that I originally got. Chances are the reprint will be inferior to the original run and the customer will wish he'd left it with me instead of trying to save money.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
you also need to take into consideration the time frame, they need them by this weekend? that means a rush effort, we all would like to do the "Right Thing" but we also need to make a profit doing it.....no one works for the fun of it, we work to make a profit.....will they really place another order? If they do will they want the same low price if you price it too low? Just asking questions that you need to consider....at times I wish we could give our product away! But then next week we would be out of business :p

Just My 2 Cents:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@into the T: thanks. I'll stick with $15 per shirt.

My brother recommended this guy so he's not family or a friend of mine. But as @Ripcord said "the repeat business and word of mouth advertising the customer will provide" which is my goal. I want my work to stand out from the other printers in the area. There's a lot of competition around here; a lot of printers charge really cheap prices just to get the jobs.

I was also wondering how I should package the finished shirts. I will be hand delivering them and didn't know if a I should put them in a box or a bag. Should it be fancy or is a regular brown unmarked box ok?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you also need to take into consideration the time frame, they need them by this weekend? that means a rush effort, we all would like to do the "Right Thing" but we also need to make a profit doing it.....no one works for the fun of it, we work to make a profit.....will they really place another order? If they do will they want the same low price if you price it too low? Just asking questions that you need to consider....at times I wish we could give our product away! But then next week we would be out of business :p

Just My 2 Cents:D
I didn't think of it that way. Before posting here I messaged someone I met at a recent NBM show and they said in Miami they charge $25 per shirt for single prints and $20 for more than 6. I was thinking it was a bit high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.