T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts
What really makes this bad is the DTG printers who are losing money by quoting super low prices at high volumes. They are poisoning the marketplace by giving a false idea of what these shirts are worth. They eventually go out of business, but the barrier to entry on DTG is low enough that new entrepreneurs who cannot do math just keep getting machines and making the same mistakes. It's a frustration, to be sure.
And this is the problem....

Unfortunately, the way people think is, to get the job, drop your price. So businesses compete on pricing, whereas this type of printing, to do 5 shirts takes the same amount of time per shirt as 50. So even though pricing does need to go down with volume, printers end up gouging the market thinking and dropping prices much more than necessary.

· Registered
17 Posts
A couple of years later today, has the DTG business improved?

Is the technology far better than it was then? How about the ink cost, and the fastness of the print?

We'd like to hear from your valuable experiences.

Surely, it does affect the pricing and the bottom line.

· Registered
110 Posts
excuse me, I am new...

I have a simple questions: why screenprinting is cheaper than DTG? Whats is the point of differences?

Is it only about speed of printing, or you need different time
to press it, pre-treat, put the tshirt on table ecc.?

The price of inks used for DTG is the same for screenprinting?

If teorically I can have many DTG printers (i.e many DIY DTG printers) so I could print in multitasking and one operator could manage many printers in the same time, with a few ofset in second between a print and another.....
... in this case I cold produce the same quantity of tee in the same time of screen printing? At the same cost?

· Registered
1,945 Posts
excuse me, I am new...

I have a simple questions: why screenprinting is cheaper than DTG? Whats is the point of differences?

Is it only about speed of printing, or you need different time
to press it, pre-treat, put the tshirt on table ecc.?

The price of inks used for DTG is the same for screenprinting?

If teorically I can have many DTG printers (i.e many DIY DTG printers) so I could print in multitasking and one operator could manage many printers in the same time, with a few ofset in second between a print and another.....
... in this case I cold produce the same quantity of tee in the same time of screen printing? At the same cost?
Avarage DTG printer: 12 - 15 pieces on hour

Avarage screen printing auto press: 500 - 700 pieces an hour

Screen prnting - avarage cost per liter of ink: 10 - 15 $
DTG - avarage cost per liter of ink: 150 $

I think that I don't need to point out other factors.

· Registered
110 Posts
Avarage DTG printer: 12 - 15 pieces on hour

Screen prnting - avarage cost per liter of ink: 10 - 15 $
DTG - avarage cost per liter of ink: 150 $
Why so big difference in price for ink?

Is possible to manage the screenprinting ink, with some solvent or additive, and make an DIY texile ink that flood good into the cartriges and head of an Epson DTG DIY printer?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Is possible to manage the screenprinting ink, with some solvent or additive, and make an DIY texile ink that flood good into the cartriges and head of an Epson DTG DIY printer?
If that were remotely possible, Epson, Brother, Kornit etc would have been doing it for years. Spraying ink in tiny little droplets through a digital print head requires ink that is many, many times thinner than plastisol screen printing ink. There are many chemical and physical issues to getting digital printing to work, but suffice it to say that plastisol is never going to be part of it.

DTG print heads will speed up, and at some point they will compete with more jobs (Vs SP) than now, but we're pretty far off from a major revolution there.

· Registered
1,945 Posts

DIY and DTG ink sould not be in the same sentence.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.