T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was approached by someone I had done work for before to do the local little league teams. They had already bought individual numbers and letters from Stahls and wanted me to press them for $1.50 each. It would have been around 25 teams times 15-25 kids per team. I declined. They weren't interested in negotiating price.

Edit: My post was ambiguous, I would be spelling out and pressing the player's names & numbers.

I have no intention of doing that much work for a $1.50 each but how do you price something like that?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Easy work. I would have done it too-but I would also wonder why they went to stahls instead of coming directly to me.

IMO-too many people want to bypass local business people like us and buy "direct" then need our help. I do not se it too much on printing like this-but we do see it with some other products we sell.

And-they next thing you know they will come in and ask you to sponsor one of their teams when they spend their money outside your local area.

I would have done it-but I would have tied it to the end of the year trophy business (we own a trophy shopp too) or at least the parent shirt or all star uniform business if at all possible.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well that would have been $562.50 to $937.50 in about 5-6 hours of work. I would have done it.
I could never have done it in 5-6 hours, you must have a great system down. I would have spent more time than that just to spell out all the names, space and tape them together. I did one team last year for $1.50/shirt and spent hours to earn $22. How do you do it so quickly?

Edit: I just did the math and you're saying you could spell, lay out & press 525 last names + 2 numbers in 6 hours? That's over a 100 shirts per hour.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy work. I would have done it too-but I would also wonder why they went to stahls instead of coming directly to me.
If the names were all pre-cut, I would do it but I normally charge $2/press labor. With everything being individual I would end up handling up to 7250 individual transfers assuming the average last name has 8 letters.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think 5 to 6 hrs and that could have been done, but even if it took 8 thats how much per hr?
You realize that to do this in 6 hours you would be laying out and pressing over 100 shirts per hour? Even if every team only had 15 players, which they don't, but if they did you would still have to layout and press over 60 shirts per hour. IF, you could do a shirt every five minutes (which is less than my average for doing one of their teams last year), you would have over 50 hours of labor.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I agree you did the right thing. I don't let my customer bring in any print or lettering that they bought from some where else. I cut all my own lettering. What they wanted was for you to work for about $5 per hour mot me $25 is my lowest per hour charge. Maybe you should have rented them your press for $5 per hour and let them do the job.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well normally when there ordered they come to me with the whole name together, thats why you can do it in that amount of hours. If you were making out of individual letters i can understand why youd turn it down

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would have told them that they could rent my heat press for $150/day... or remind them that Stahls also sells Heat Presses.... they could have bought one!

·
Registered
245 Posts
They had already bought individual numbers and letters from Stahls and wanted me to press them for $1.50 each. It would have been around 25 teams times 15-25 kids per team. I declined. They weren't interested in negotiating price.

Edit: My post was ambiguous, I would be spelling out and pressing the player's names & numbers.

I have no intention of doing that much work for a $1.50 each but how do you price something like that?
7250 letters @ $1.50 ea = $10,875.00.
I would bring in 2 temp workers.
After labor and performance bonus ( help cut back on errors) would have cleared over $9,500.00.
I think you messed up on this.

At a $1.50 per "Shirt", I would have passed on this also.:D

M

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I would of declined it as well, too much work for so little return. I get these type of customers once in a blue moon and i always tell them that im the one that sets the prices here not them! They leave pissed and im always happy.

I tell my wife that the reason i got into this biz was to make what i want to make $$$ and to not let customers boss me around i already have a boss at work that does that..

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason I did one of their teams last year was they told me they ordered the names from Stahls and I took them literally, that they ordered names not letters. That was only 25 kids and it took me most of the day.

No one ever did answer my question about how you would price something like this. I can only guess that you would have to estimate the labor but it would be simpler to actually charge by the letter/number as printmonkey mentioned. It might be worth it at $0.50/letter/number + $2.00/press.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I were to do that I would have probablly charged $5 a shirt and have them sign a document that I am not responcable if transfer lift , fade crack and so forth since I did not supply them.

I know I could do at least 25 shirts + an hour 5x25 = $125 per hour = one happy face.

I just did a softball team 20 shirts logo on front number on back cut weeded and applied in less than 2 hours.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I were to do that I would have probablly charged $5 a shirt and have them sign a document that I am not responcable if transfer lift , fade crack and so forth since I did not supply them.

I know I could do at least 25 shirts + an hour 5x25 = $125 per hour = one happy face.

I just did a softball team 20 shirts logo on front number on back cut weeded and applied in less than 2 hours.
These aren't logos. They are individual letters and numbers which have to be laid out (takes a lot of space), names spelled, spaced and pressed. When I did one team I laid them all out on the kitchen table, spaced them on a grid and then taped them together. I averaged several minutes each just doing that, not including matching the name to the right size jersey, aligning them on the jerseys, doing the same for the numbers and pressing. I suppose you could do it on the press if you have enough workspace for all the jerseys, lists of names, letters and numbers and don't mind working with your hands under a 350 degree press for a several minutes; but I neither have that much space at my press nor desire to work with my hands under the heat for that extended period. Maybe you could average 25 shirts an hour for 25 hours but I wouldn't. Plus they weren't interested in paying more than $1.50 per jersey.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well you said now one gave you and answer what they would charge. Using single letters and numbers maybe would get around 4 hour done. My shop time is $30 per hour. So I would charge $7.50 per shirt. Them I would tell them it will take 3 to 4 weeks to get them done. And if they would have bought the lettering and numbers from my shop it would have cost $10 per shirt with the lettering and number on the shirt. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts