T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i try to match fonts with the style or message of the shirt, my question, is how do you all pick the font to use, or is there a good resource to find "Funny" "sexy" "vintage" "fancy" fonts, etc.

I use myfonts.com , but I can search for a long time looking at fonts. I am guessing experienced designers just know a lot of fonts. Any suggestions ?
Thanks,

·
Registered
911 Posts
I like to type it into Corel and use the Character Formatting to change the text till i see something I like.
I also have about a doz. of my favourites that I use first..so typically before I actually start a layout I kinda know what fonts I'll be using.
Dafont.com is my favourite too ... but I tend to go with purchasing from font houses instead of using readily available fonts ... I can cruise thru town and know who did what sign by the fonts they use...I will never use Zaph Chancery on a sign as it is so overdone, All this applies whether Im making signs or shirts.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Always on the quest for new/different fonts if I find something I think we might use in a future project or that's just really cool I'll down load it and add to our font directory then we use a free program called "free & easy font viewer" to scroll through them, it's a cool program that lets you see exactly what the font is going to look like and much quicker then scrolling through them in photoshop or illustrator.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First off, you have to build your own font library, a collection of fonts you like. Whether they are free or commercial – it’s up to you.

Your second step would be to install some kind of font management software, which will allow you to easily view your fonts, combine them into themed font sets. i.e. “scripts”, “handwriting”, “dingbats”, “graffiti” etc., and quickly activate/deactivate your fonts. My favourite is “Font Expert”.

Your third step, during the design creation process, would be to “try out” different fonts on your actual design in “real time”, to get the visual feel of how the font blends with your artwork. The easiest way of doing this (let’s take Photoshop as an example), would be to create a new text layer and type the text you need, using any font that’s the closet to what you think you need. After that, make sure you have your Text layer selected, while using the “Text” tool. Then just click into your “Font Name” window, highlighting the currently listed font name. Then, you can just use your up/down arrows on your keyboard to “scroll” through the fonts and see how your design changes in real time.

With time, you will learn a feel and purpose of each one of your fonts, and will be able to go to the right font instantly, based on the design you are working with. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I would suggest experimenting with different fonts and colors...
You will start to get a feeling for what font would look best after awhile.
I have 50k fonts lol... but only use about 200 or so mostly....

and dafont is a great site for free fonts...
http://www.dafont.com/

and blambot has cool free and pay fonts
http://www.blambot.com/index.shtml

there is a thread on this site which has a bunch of links to free fonts....
i will try an find it...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I always just go to dafont.com and type in my word. It will change also the fonts to that word then just look through them until I see one I like.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts