T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Trade marking means more than you would imagine, jus like nike, reebok etc..

Their mark is on the products for a reason and it's to be known and for their customers to come back to their stores for future purchases. I find it useless to not brand my stuff. Someone buys one of my shirts, thinks it's hot but has forgotten where they bought it, thus doesn't return to my shops. To me not branding is not in the cards. I have a variety of different goods in front of me with branding names such as: Camel, Medicine Shoppe, Bic, Bell, and many more.
There is a good reason for this.
Camie

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
cameo said:
Yeah, patent is very different than branding, I see your point.
Cameo
No, patents are very different from trademarks, which are very different from copyrights :)

Branding is very different from all of the above (theoretically, "branding" could be any of the above, or none)!

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
cameo,
no offense, but it is not your term. It was around long before you. You are posting on a forum where people come and ask questions and try to get help, and other people try to help them. If you are using common terms, but have your own definitions for them, you are only confusing those that didn't know what the term actually meant in the first place. People here where only correcting you because by your response, you didn't seem to know the difference between patent and trademark and how go about getting them, and so that others reading the post would know. If you have your own definitions for words, but you know the real meaning, I guess that's okay for you. But you shouldn't come to a forum answering questions about patent/trademark, using definitions that don't mean what the words actually mean. That really doesn't help the op get the answer they need. Again, no offense. Just trying to explain.;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I understand what you're saying. I came to this forum to help, that's what I intend to do.
To patend your designs is a good idea for most artists,and for designs period.
If you do not have the money for this, branding "Meaning to place your own company logo in the design" is what works best for most of us. The meaning of branding in my business is simply to advertise. I don't have to deal with the aspect of trademarks or patents, they do that for me. However I do know alot about the subject. The difference between patent and trademark is : a patent is protection of an idea or invention, you have to file for a patent, somebody else may have your idea. This does cost.
A trademark is for a symbol, text or logo. This is a very complex procedure. Which is a done by the manufacturer or dealer to distinguish a product. Which is normally protected by law.
Branding is totally different, just like a farmer would brand his cattle.

This is what I do on my products.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm going to say it one more time :)

A patent is for an invention (such as the telephone) , unique discovery (such as the current evil trend of DNA patents), or innovation (such as specific bits of unique programming in Photoshop).

Unless you create a t-shirt which makes you loose weight and tones your thighs, nobody on this site is going to be patenting anything.

You cannot "patent" an artistic design unless it also produces some unique function.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
cameo said:
You could be right?
It's worth looking into if you're serious about copyrighting your designs. I plan on doing this in the very near future.
Check the definitional post of the first page of this thread, from the US Patent and Trademark Office.

I have both copyrighted and trademarked works many, many times in my old job.

I have never patented anything, as I am not an inventor, nor have i ever worked for one.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
cameo said:
You could be right?
It's worth looking into if you're serious about copyrighting your designs. I plan on doing this in the very near future.
There's no "could be" - he is right.

As others have said several times, please stop muddying the waters. You are potentially confusing people who don't understand the way these systems work.

I know you mean well, but it's not helping.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
cameo said:
If you must be right, I grant you the privledge.
It''s really not a biggie.
Kinda hard to know how to reply to this post, but if you think you're right then that's ok with with me.
I really don't want to argue.
?!

You "grant him the privelage"? [removed rude comment]

You made a mistake, and several people politely corrected you. He doesn't "think" he's right and there is no argument here. That would imply two sides and a potential for contention. In this case, there's simply fact and a mistake.

[removed rude comments]

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Try arguing about the asthetic benefits of heat transfer over screen-printing if you *really* want to see an argument erupt, and the forums flow with blood :)

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Easy folks...clearly it's a miscommunication of terms.

Although Camie is saying "patent", she is talking about the process of protecting your designs.

It is the wrong term, but it's not the end of the world. Let's move on :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.