T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to determine what brand / kind of shirts I want to go with. Part of me is inclined to go with Fruit of the Loom 50/50 5.4oz tees, mainly because that's what Threadless uses, and a lot of the posts on that site seem to be fairly positive (there's actually quite a few complaints about AA, who would've thought?). So with that in mind, here is a couple questions...

1. How do I go about obtaining samples? I'm not yet officially licensed, nor do I have a business name yet. Will they even bother?

2. What other shirts are comparable in quality and price (I'm seeing anywhere from $1.25 - $2.25 color from what I can view without being able to obtain a wholesale site account)?

Thanks everybody! ;)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Your other basic shirts are going to be comprable price-wise (and generally, quality-wise), such as Hanes or Gildan. You'll have to pay a little more for ringspun cotton (softer shirts), such as the Hanes Beefy Tee (but not necessarily as much as AA).

I think Gildan is probably the most used brand for general imprinting, though I don't know if they offer any cotton/poly blends offhand.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's right, I forgot about ringspun. Can 50/50 blends be ringspun? Are they any harder to apply plastisol transfers too?

As well, am I to guess that "samples" aren't really free, but people are using the term in regards to purchasing a shirt of each kind?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
As well, am I to guess that "samples" aren't really free, but people are using the term in regards to purchasing a shirt of each kind?
Good point. That's correct :) "free samples" are a whole different animal, but most of the time when I say "get some samples", I mean buy one or two shirts from that manufacturer to see if you like them.

For example ,I wanted a sample from theapparelagents.com after I saw jdr post about them. I went to their website and used their online form to buy 2-3 shirts of different styles. If I later wanted to buy wholesale, I'd setup an account.

Same thing with article1, jerico, etc. Sometimes I end up getting samples because a t-shirt design I bought just happens to be printed on a different brand that I haven't seen before (that's how I found out about the cool Jerico hoodies).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Twinge said:
I think Gildan is probably the most used brand for general imprinting, though I don't know if they offer any cotton/poly blends offhand.
Gildan do a 50/50 5.6oz shirt (8000 in their catalogue, pocket, youth and l/s options available). Never tried one, so I don't know if they're any good or not.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
error426 said:
Can 50/50 blends be ringspun?
The spinning happens at the thread level (i.e. before the fabric is knit), so I don't see why you couldn't. I have no idea if they're made or not though (it might be considered a waste of good cotton since the polyester might overwhelm its properties anyway - I don't know).

error426 said:
Are they any harder to apply plastisol transfers too?
I don't see any reason they would be.

error426 said:
Yup. Even when paying for samples I've had some pretty smarmy responses due to the purchases being piece quantity (which is one of the reasons I hate that wholesaler, and avoid giving them money whenever possible :) As far as I'm concerned sampling is part of doing business).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts