T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea of how to go about getting rights to use logos such as MLB, NFL, warner brothers and Disney. I just opened a shop for custom printing and folks are already asking for these logos.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Each of those you mentioned is a separate entity. Licensing is very exclusive and very expensive. The NFL will not give a license for less than $100,000 up front and they have semi exclusive deals with major apparel suppliers already. The same goes for the others. Small time operators have little or no opportunity to LEGALLY use those logos.

·
Registered
236 Posts
From what I understand I think that goes for their color schemes as well..... but I see people use them all the time, it may depend on what type of artwork you do and how much it suggests that team. Look at it this way though..... it cost a LOT of money for a lawyer to go into this and hunt you down...... they're not going to do that unless it's worth it, you may get hit with fines if you're at their games selling merchandise, but as a print shop with locals coming in and getting stuff.... I don't think you need to worry about it too much. I've been an airbrush artist for going on 15 years now and have worked in shops for a number of years, people use to come in and get team stuff done all the time.... nobody ever said anything to us. I've known a few people over the years who have done things with someone else's material and have been hunted down but wound up talking out a deal with them, so everything switched for the better. I'd say GO FOR IT!!! Just add a creative enough touch of your own to really make it something big so if and when they do see it they'll want in on it more than want to shut you down. They don't want you bootlegging their stuff..... but they don't want to destroy an opportunity either.... so there's wiggle room.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Look at it this way though..... it cost a LOT of money for a lawyer to go into this and hunt you down
Not really. Cease and desist orders don't cost that much. Besides, companies like this have IP attorneys on staff. So they are getting paid to specifically protect their company's brand.

they're not going to do that unless it's worth it
It's always worth it. In fact, it is the responsibility of IP owners to pursue legal action against infringement. Not to mention, allowing infringement to exist devalues the licensing of their brand. Companies owe it to their licensees to prevent bootlegging.

but as a print shop with locals coming in and getting stuff.... I don't think you need to worry about it too much.
If a print shop is going to use logos without authorization, they should definitely worry about it. Because it may get them sued. Whether they choose to do it or not is up to them, but it's worth understanding the risks, not pretend they don't exist.

Just add a creative enough touch of your own to really make it something big so if and when they do see it they'll want in on it more than want to shut you down. They don't want you bootlegging their stuff..... but they don't want to destroy an opportunity either.... so there's wiggle room.
I disagree with this 100%. If a company like the NFL, MLB WB or Disney catches you infringing on their IP, there is no way they are then going to sign that company on as a licensee. It doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I feel what you guys are saying.... but I have seen things happen both positive and negative. I've personally done TONS of tweety birds, sponge bobs, celebrities, teams, etc. I wasn't doing 5 and 6 digits off of them.... but I did them like most other airbrush artists and nobody ever bothered any of us. If it cost them more to send someone after you than they'll get out of it.... it's not worth it. If you're cranking these things out by the thousands then yes they'll come after you, but if you're not doing BIG things like that you may not even register on their radar. I'm not saying it's not possible for them to come after someone.... but I've seen people do quite a bit and I've done a lot of custom work over the years involving that type of content and nothing has ever happened. I never said pretend like these laws don't exist.... I just wouldn't worry about them unless you're really doing something HUGE with it, that's all.

·
Registered
508 Posts
There is a diffence between whether it is the right thing to do and if you will get caught. The fact that you wont get caught doesnt make it ok.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Marcus,
I don't doubt your experiences. I'm sure everything you said is 100% accurate. But whether someone reproduces protected IP on 1 shirt or 10,000 shirts doesn't matter, it's illegal. Sure, there are levels of risk in getting caught. But it's illegal none the less. And it's wrong to suggest to anyone that it's ok to go ahead and do something that can get them sued. And now that it's on a public forum, it would be even more foolish to go ahead and commit infringement.

IP owners have a legal responsibility to pursue legal action against infringement. Can the NFL catch everyone? No. Will they sue you if they catch you? Yes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts