T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how to get this type of "washed out look" , it appears to be more than just a distress layer, as it has different shades of color, hard to tell if they are using half-tones, or is this 4-color process ?
screen printing.
http://www.outofprintclothing.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=B-1006

hope i am not violating any rules by using this link, it is not my site, just trying to show the type of printing I am talking about

·
Registered
274 Posts
To me it looks more like natural distressing caused by an on-press effect where you use a high mesh count screen and don't use a lot of pressure when pulling the ink squeegie, thereby preventing full ink coverage. Of course, it could be a distress layer (you can definitely produce something similar to that using a distress layer) but I'd need to have a closer look at the print to be certain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
here is an old-school way (which I still use, and it works). Find a texture you like (search google images, go to advanced, search at least 640x480), can be anything worn, a wall, a book cover, old paper.. next import the image into photoshop, make it B/W, blowout the image until it's what you need (except it's in black), save as an .eps. Bring the file into Illustrator, go to RASTERIZE, select BMP, select TRANSPARENT... and there go. Now you have an overlay in Illustrator that you can specify as an color or white. I have a bunch of these, from leather to stucco.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts