T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice on how to start a tee shirt business. I have a few real good slogans that I want to print. Is the best way to go through the existing affiliate websites, cafepress, zazzle, printmojo,etc, or start my own website? I know going through one of the affiliate sites is the easiest way to start but can you really make money with them?

In addition, I have an opportunity to buy someone's existing tee shirt website business. He is asking $1500 for the website, 8 dozen shirts, the heat transfer press , 200 heat transfer designs and all of his suppliers contacts. The site is fully functional looks great and has a pay pal shopping cart. He just started the website but doesnt have time to run it. He says he has only sold a few shirts from it.
Questions: Is $1500 fair price?
Is the heat trasfer shirt method a good one?
Would this be a good way to get started to buy his whole site and then start linking/building onto the site with my own designs?

Thanks for the advice in advance.....

Johnny

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I personally dont like fulfillment services, but some people do. I would start from scratch. $1500 is way too high for a business that doesnt sell many t-shirts. You should buy a heat press and start a website on your own with your ideas. Heat transfers are fine. I sell 30+ heat transfered t-shirts a week, and rarely ever a complaint. Only dilema is you can't print on white tees. You can be in business for under $1000 .

Web Hosting: $25.00 / yr.
Domain: $8 / yr.
Heat Press: $600
Heat transfers: .50 ea. x 100 = $50
Printer / Ink : $150.00

Thats all it'l cost.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Typo above: You can ONLY print on white (or other light-colored) tees.

Depends on how good and new the heat press is for if that is worth it, basically. A new, high-end heat press can cost $1500-$2000 by itself. However, I assume its used and no longer has any warranty, so you should try to bargain him down a fair bit, perhaps trying to only buy the press.

Heat transfers will probably cost closer to 75 cents each when you count in shipping, if you're getting quality paper anyway. (Also assuming you will only buy 100 or less at a time; buying large quantities will discount further, of course). You also may want to get a better webhost that'll cost more than $25 a year; those resellers of resellers of resellers aren't exactly the best hosting experience =) (but to be fair, they do generally work well enough if you aren't getting much traffic)

·
Banned
48 Posts
He is talking about stock transfers I believe, which are about $1.50 - $3 each. Also if you decide not to purchase the site, would you please PM the site that is for sale, I may be interested.

Thank You

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seller states that the press (an HIX Presto 15x15) is worth $600, the 8 dozen tee shirts is $200, the 200 high color full size transfers is $350 and the ecommerce website is worth $1600. Does this sound like a fair representation of those products?

Please advise.

Johnny

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can't really vouch for the validility of other prices but to determine whether the site itself is worth as much as $1600, you should have i. some form of income statements and ii.backend description.

You said he 'sold a few shirts', how much exactly and within what span of time?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went with a fulfillment service - Printmojo - it certainly has its benefits and drawbacks. It does allow you to get high quality shirts, nice printing and a basic storefront for a low price. With our own domain, we got into business for approximately $2000.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The prices listed are pretty accurate EXCEPT the website. To be fair, professionaly made websites do cost a crapload, but IMO they are far from worth the expense :p

See if you can buy everything except the website perhaps?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts