T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First. I am a big fan of this forum and really helping me out on building my printing career.

Second.

I just want to know what are the proper approach or a request to get an ok to use MMA figther names on the shirts that I am about to sell.

If you guys into this area not particularly on MMA. Please do share your experience, good or bad. Thanks a lot and I will be looking forward for replies.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
You can probably find some type of contact info on the fighter's website. Just try contacting them to negotiate a license. Depending on the popularity of the fighter, expect to pay upfront licensing fees plus a royalty percentage based on sales. If you are targeting UFC fighters, it will be pretty difficult and/or expensive. Fighters at that level have official sponsorship deals already. And it's been well documented that when fighters sign contracts with the UFC, the organization retains their merchandising rights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kimura-mma: Thanks. It will not be easy ride for this one. UFC is monster now and they have great fighters. I don't even one to guess the amount you will pay upfront and the percent.

Some experts said that it will be too late for this type strategy. I would like to see it in near future that this kind of business will have a big whole for everyone to feed. MMA apparel still on the early stage. Still questions to ask and wholes to find.

8th Degree Black Rocks!!

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Thanks man.

Personally, I think it's too late as far as the national stage is concerned. UFC, Tapout and Affliction brands are just too big. The UFC has too much money, and quite frankly, their business model and marketing are excellent. It's rumored that the UFC has a financial stake in both Tapout and Affliction. And along with Silver Stars, Ecko and a few others, there are too many apparel brands as it is. And as I mentioned earlier, the UFC retains merchandising rights to it's fighters. Perhaps it's possible to find untapped markets (pardon the pun) and try to build small within certain areas. For example, MMA is not sanctioned in NY. So it's possible to go grass roots in that market. But once the UFC gets it sanctioned, they will take over quickly and completely.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound so negative about it. I would like to hear more about your business plan and creative ideas.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have somewhat kept up with the UFC's policies with sponsors. It is rumored that t-shirt brand sponsors must pay a $100,000 fee to the UFC just to sponsor athletes. I have noticed that two promising MMA companies have since gone out of business, so this leads me to believe that there may be some truth to the rumor, especially if these brands took the bait. One More Round and Eternal Unlimited were both very good clothing lines that started a few years ago, but have since gone bust, even after UFC exposure. It seems that the only the big names with deep pockets like Tapout, SilverStar, Affliction, and Ecko Unld. are the only sponsors now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts