1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: So you want to sell t-shirts - 101

Fred, thanks for posting.
I am new in this business yet ;-)

But I cannot understand, how to find your audience - we sell t-shirts for everybody, everybody can buy them. Can you (or anybody) describe, how to describe the target audience for t-shirt online store.
??

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Great question! I moved it to its own thread so we can get a good discussion going about this important topic:

But I cannot understand, how to find your audience - we sell t-shirts for everybody, everybody can buy them.
Try thinking of the individual designs on the t-shirts that you sell. Each of them was designed with a certain person (or group of people) in mind.

Even on a general t-shirt site with a WIDE audience (like choiceshirts.com for example), each t-shirt (or group of t-shirts) can be narrowed down to a specific audience.

For example, a t-shirt with a picture of a fish on it might interest people who like fishing, people who like animals, people who like the outdoors, people who like sports, etc.

A t-shirt with a funny phrase on it might interest people who are young, people who indentify with that particular funny phrase, college kids, people who like t-shirts, people who like comedy, etc.

A t-shirt with an artistic design might interest people who read a certain magazine, people who read certain blogs, people who like art, people who like high fashion, etc.

Even if your whole t-shirt site is for a general audience, you can narrow down your marketing by focusing on a specific t-shirt or group of t-shirts in your store.

This is just one idea though, hopefully other members will jump in the discussion with more thoughts and suggestions :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me I thought it would be easy right Christians... But as I started designing and trying to advertise I realized it wasn't just that easy. For instance a few of my designs are actually being picked up more by GARDENING shops than Christian Shops (Gnomes who knew?) So I retargeted part of my advertising to Gardening. I have also gotten to realize that the OLDER christian market just doesnt get what I am doing and the younger market may not be CHRISTIAN per se they may actually be seekers (at least that is what seems to be happening) So once again I have RETARGETED towards the Seeker community. What I am getting at is that you better be flexible pick a road and start walking down it. Realize however it may not lead where you think it will. Good Luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts

alltshirts4you said:
Fred, thanks for posting.
I am new in this business yet ;-)

But I cannot understand, how to find your audience - we sell t-shirts for everybody, everybody can buy them. Can you (or anybody) describe, how to describe the target audience for t-shirt online store.
??
You are making T-shirts for everybody but everybody isn't interested in your shirts. You have to figure out who may be interested in your shirts and that's what finding your audience is all about.

I checked your site and noticed that you sell a lot of Classic Rock T-shirts, for example I saw a few AC DC shirts. Everybody doesn't like AC DC, so you're marketing those shirts to AC DC fans in particular and classic rock fans in general.

If you go by AC DC's album sales you can get a pretty good idea of your target market for those particular shirts. If you do a google search, I'm sure you'll find plenty of fan sites up that you can develop a relationship with to get those shirts in front of their particular audience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great question! I moved it to its own thread so we can get a good discussion going about this important topic:

Try thinking of the individual designs on the t-shirts that you sell. Each of them was designed with a certain person (or group of people) in mind.

Even on a general t-shirt site with a WIDE audience (like choiceshirts.com for example), each t-shirt (or group of t-shirts) can be narrowed down to a specific audience.

For example, a t-shirt with a picture of a fish on it might interest people who like fishing, people who like animals, people who like the outdoors, people who like sports, etc.

A t-shirt with a funny phrase on it might interest people who are young, people who indentify with that particular funny phrase, college kids, people who like t-shirts, people who like comedy, etc.

A t-shirt with an artistic design might interest people who read a certain magazine, people who read certain blogs, people who like art, people who like high fashion, etc.

Even if your whole t-shirt site is for a general audience, you can narrow down your marketing by focusing on a specific t-shirt or group of t-shirts in your store.

This is just one idea though, hopefully other members will jump in the discussion with more thoughts and suggestions :)
Hi I am Tharun from India I am planning to start my own clothing (t-shirts) business. When I started to research I found two things
Choosing brand Name and Know your Target Demographic or Target Audience

Know your target market, know your target audience, know what your target audience will like made designs according to their likes. If you follow this then it's easy to reach them. Honestly, it’s difficult to start a brand that has too many focuses, so you have to have a clear idea of what category of people you’re catering to. There are lot of start-up's fail due to lack choosing perfect theme for their clothing line because they fail to choose their target people, A brand with too many focuses can't sustain for longer period. Choose the brand name which reflects your designs and products, This is what some experts use to tell.

So I agree with them if I know my target market or target audience it's easy for me to make designs according to them and also easy to reach them.

Conclusion

My Target Demographic - People ages between 15-35. and my categories are Typography, Music, Abstract, Funny, and Cool t-shirts.

So do you think I am taking too much risk for a start-up company because of more design categories ?

A general t-shirt site tough to survive ? Because of more design categories and too many focuses.

And when it's come to choosing a brand name it's a bit tricky for me ? I can't choose particular category of people because I have variety of target audience.

If I choose general brand name, then I can't explain what my brand is all about, the general word never related to my products, then again it's tough to reach people ?

The way I am thinking is totally wrong ? Need Experts Advice on this.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Well, India is a very typical market. Even if you have great creativity, customer will trash it. "they want what they want". You cannot force your designs on customers. Basically you have to satisfy customers ego.

Sent from my SM-N750 using T-Shirt Forums

1 - 7 of 7 Posts