T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well after a few weeks of browsing the boards I think I am ready to go ahead and purchase a vinyl cutter/plotter with the intention of gradually starting my own online tee shirt business.

I have just phoned a company here in the UK to try find out what I would need for my requirements but just got the typical sales person trying to sell me something in record time (he recomended the Mimaki CG60)

I guess im just trying to understand exactly what I will need in a cutter, and what features i possibly wont use. So here goes.
I am to mostly do tee shirts, and thicker garments, like hoodys based on my own designs
However i dont want to just limit myself to tee and the like, so spending a little more to be able to do signs and cars etc would definatly be a bonus.

I was thinking of just saving up and getting the Roland GX24 to cover all my bases,
do i really need it, or am I just wasting money for many features that I will not use? If so what cheaper alternatives do you all recomend?

Sorry for the long read, all help greatly appreiciated

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I really like my GX24, it cuts great and is very quiet. If you don't need the optic eye you can save a lot of money buying a more inexpensive cutter. I started with a no name cutter an it worked great for me. The choice of cutter is determined by your budget, if you can spend gth needed funds but the Roland. ... JB

·
Registered
185 Posts
The choice of cutter is determined by your budget...
I think for most people deciding that really sums it up. Personally, I wouldn't "reach" and purchase something I really couldn't afford. I started out(and still use) a USCutter MH721. It was a couple hundred bucks for the 24" version, and being I didn't go out and spend a ton of money on a setup, I didn't feel like I was under great pressure to drop everything else and learn how to use this machine properly. I'm not saying that feeling is the same for everyone. I will more then likely purchase another machine soon, and I would really consider purchasing another USCutter. I also like the looks of the GX24, but now I can justify to myself spending the more money for a machine.

I would say just like JB, it really all depends on what you can stomach to spend...but there is nothing wrong at all with starting out with a less expensive brand or model.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will go for a cutter with an optic eye even to start, do you think the Mimaki CG60 is a good bet, have anyone used one of these?
Is it capable of doing large signs etc if I wish to go that way in the future?
I cant believe how much there is to consider :confused: Oh well no-one said it would be easy :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts