T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing the term 'qualified distributor or industry professional' when I'm checking out websites to order shirts.

I'm registered with the US patent office under my company name. The description field says 'apparel'. Since I'm the only employee (sole proprietor) and I use my SS# as my tax id. Am I a qualified distributor or industry professional? Do I need to do anything else to qualify as that and place orders at these online shirt manufacturers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a sole proprietor. I've used my SS# as my tax id in the past for freelance design work. Can I use this as well in these instances? How would I even go about getting a resale or tax license if I'm not able to use my SS#?

Also, when I purchase things online... I never pay taxes on purchases unless that company exists in the state I live (sells goods from a physical store locally). So what is the legal business practices when it inolves tax id and taxing end users?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
You're saying you are a sole proprieter, that implys you already have a registered business... it should be a pretty easy to get a sales tax license at that point... just fill out a simple form and such (exact requirements will vary by state; check with the department of revenue, or your state government websites).

Your SS# will probably not work for the wholesalers, since it is not the same thing, but you can try I guess.

AFAIK, online sales do only require that you tax if the recipient lives in the same state as you do. I've heard talks of legislation to mix this up a bit, but nothing has been decided yet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Twinge. I'll investigate this further with my state office and look online and see if I can't locate their website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts