T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created a b&w halftone design in Photoshop, gave it to my screen printer and asked him to print it with purple ink. No problem.

The issue is this...I'm creating a line sheet for my designs in Illustrator and I don't know how to add the same color purple to the b&w halftone to accurately show how the design will look? I see line sheets from other brands all the time with halftones with color added, so it shouldn't be that hard, right? Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Actually what u need to do is in photoshop, make sure that grayscale image is in grayscale mode.. go to image/Mode/Grayscale .. Then go to your channels pallet and make a copy of that grayscale channel ( I always use a copy instead of altering the origina) Once you duplicate that channel, hide your original Grayscale channel with the little eyeball icon... now in you channels pallet.. double click that duplicate channel you just made and it will open up an option for that channel.. Name it whatever you want, select the color you want it to be and select spot color... I also usually give it 80% opacity... Now you save that file in photoshop.. In illustrator now you can open that photoshop file and that channel you made with whatever color you gave it will be there as its own layer.. The color you gave it wil now show up as a spot color in your swatches pallet in illustrator.. you can double click that spot color swatch in illustrator and change it to whatever color you want..and it will change the color of your grayscale image.. Its all pretty cool when figuring out how illustrator and photoshop really work hand in hand

·
Registered
15 Posts
^i do agree with the post above me, but heres an easier way to do it. i have done it many times.
make sure your image is in gray scale mode. save the image as a tiff. it will ask you if you want to make a "1 bit tiff" and you do. take the image to your favorite vector program and simply select the image and then click on the color you want it to be. it will change to that color. hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts