T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sample of an image i would like to print.

WorkPlacePro C-OSIC Design Detail

What do you guys recommend be the best way to get this design on dark colored shirts? My design is extremely similiar to this when it comes to colors/blends/etc.

Also is there a place I can send my design too to make me the design to print straight to the garment? Like custom made Chromablast transfers?

Thanks so much!

·
Administrator
14,642 Posts
How many shirts are you doing? For low numbers (less than 100) I would consider a DTG printer do them. Otherwise, standard silkscreening.

I don't think Chromablast works on darks. What do you mean when you say print straight to the garment?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i don't have DTG printing so i guess i am screwed in that department.

And do you think stander silk screening can get me all those fades and stuff? I feel like there is just to much detail in this art for silk screening...

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you don't have any DTG printer available, maybe some full color printed vinyl and a heat press will do the job, but it will affects the quality of your t-shirt. Have you think changing the fades for solid color, then you will probably able to get silk screening your t-shirt.

·
Administrator
14,642 Posts
Well, i don't have DTG printing so i guess i am screwed in that department.

And do you think stander silk screening can get me all those fades and stuff? I feel like there is just to much detail in this art for silk screening...
Well, then tell us what you do have so we can answer more intelligently. Your original post didn't say you wanted to use your existing printing method.

Do you have a four color press?

Do you have a heat press? If so, plastisol transfers are an option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well DTG i have noticed is in the price range of $15,000+. So I didn't imagine to many people here having that. But than again, I could be wrong.

I have a heat press, and I have 4 color press. I think for this job I would use plastisol transfers over silk screening it myself.

I was wondering if there are any other type of heat transfers I can do that will give me good quality. Transfer Expresses website had some good picture of shirts they made. I dunno what type of heat transfer they are using to make those shirts.

Also I am willing to invest in whatever type of equiptment/method if I am able to continously make shirts of the same calibur in the future. Thats why I left it open ended for all types of printing options.

·
Administrator
14,642 Posts
well DTG i have noticed is in the price range of $15,000+. So I didn't imagine to many people here having that. But than again, I could be wrong.

I have a heat press, and I have 4 color press. I think for this job I would use plastisol transfers over silk screening it myself.

I was wondering if there are any other type of heat transfers I can do that will give me good quality. Transfer Expresses website had some good picture of shirts they made. I dunno what type of heat transfer they are using to make those shirts.

Also I am willing to invest in whatever type of equiptment/method if I am able to continously make shirts of the same calibur in the future. Thats why I left it open ended for all types of printing options.
Yeah, a ton of folks have dtg on this forum. From the $10,000 ones to the $200,000 ones. You could easily contract this out to a DTG printer.

The transfer express transfers are like vinyl. I personally don't like to look or feel to it.

You could get full color plastisol transfers from f & m. Depending on the size of your design, it shouldn't cost you more than $2 each. F&M Expressions Unlimited- Custom Screen Printed Heat Transfers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F&M is actually the company I have been using. I just dont like the vinyl feel they have to their prints either. But they might be my only option. I was hoping to be able to buy transfers like chromablast or something... or some other type of transfer that would work.

·
Administrator
14,642 Posts
Again, I am pretty sure chromablast is for white shirts only, and even then they don't do a very good job eliminating the polymer window.

In a previous post someone had mentioned that Dowling and Versatrans also offers 4 color process. You could order samples from them and see how they feel.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
You could do this as a 5 color spot if you use the shirt color or a 6 color spot on dark shirts; you could also do 4 color process.

Make sure you specify fashion formula on your F&M orders, its the athletic formula that feels like vinyl.

Here are companies offering 4c process
F&M - Freedom (4 color process)
Dowling - 4 color process
Versatranz - 4 color process

These sell a digital print transfer:
Universal - digital prints
Transfer Express - digital prints

·
Registered
175 Posts
well if you are set up to do multi color screen prints.. Hell, send me your files, I will do the seps for you just for the reason of helpin someone out.. I am in a good mood lately and have been helpin several others in this forum who need proper seps. pm me if u want to

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smokestack - thanks i appreciate your help.

I think I am just going to go plastisol transfer on this one. I usually use F&M Expressions, but they give me a heavy feel (like a vinyl). If i am doing a picture of this size its going to be akward on the front of a shirt.

Do any of the other companies out there have less of a "hand" on it that can do that many colors? Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,642 Posts
Smokestack - thanks i appreciate your help.

I think I am just going to go plastisol transfer on this one. I usually use F&M Expressions, but they give me a heavy feel (like a vinyl). If i am doing a picture of this size its going to be akward on the front of a shirt.

Do any of the other companies out there have less of a "hand" on it that can do that many colors? Thanks!
Check Rick's post (#11) above. F&M has a 4 color that has less of a hand than the other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya put its a 5 color job. white, black, red, green, yellow. so the 4 color does me no good. that only leaves me with F&Ms Freedom Choice. See my dilema

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
In retrospect, I think my comment about F&M was incorrect. They have a fashion formula for spot colors which does not have a heavy hand, but I do not think they offer the same in 4 color process. And I agree, their 4c process (Freedom) is heavy handed. Probably because its designed for darks & lights and has a heavy white underlayer.

I'm waiting on my samples from Dowling's 4c process.

Transfer Express and Universal both sell a full color digital transfer printed on Versacamms, they are similar to inkjet transfers but should be more durable, good for 50+ washes according to another thread. I have a sample from Universal and have washed it once with no perceptible fade. The hand is less than Freedom but about the same or maybe a tad heavier than F&M's fashion formula.

Universal's digital transfers are about half the price of F&M Freedom. Transfer Express doesn't publish pricing for their digital transfers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks rick,

lemme know how the dowling samples come out! i have about a month to make this order... so i have a little time to shop around

1 - 18 of 18 Posts