T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gee, I guess the earning potential in this business is more than I thought. I heard someone mention 20K for an initial investment, so I figure if you throw that much money towards something the earning potiential is great. Right now I'm just trying to get into doing this as a hobbie, but heck if I can make enough money to pay my mortgage, I may want to start taking this a little more seriously. :)

Honestly, the market seems a bit saturated, how would one stand out from the rest and postion themselves to make some good money? Is it purely design, or is having a good logo the key? Right now I have a pretty good logo that I really stand by, but I'm just taking my time and get all of my ducks in order before I seriously commit to this. I've had a couple of failed businesses in the past, and I can tell you, it aint fun, plus I'm too darn old to make dumb mistakes, got a wife and kids to feed. :)

Anyway, I'll keep going through the treads and continue to pick up on the pointers that everyone is providing. I really appreciate the "free" knowledge, helps me to eliminate the headaches and keep more $$ in my pocket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Things I wish I'd known from the start.

Uncleug...hold onto your money. This business should be something you start out doing for fun, not to strike it rich in a few months...odds are heavily against you to do that. Besides...you seem like a smart guy, take the "common sense" approach to this and you'll do fine. That is certainly something I've noticed around here...those people that always seem to be lost, or are looking for which next step to take, are those same people that were way over their heads to begin with. Now I'm not saying my business will be some huge success...but I am saying that if it fails, it's not the end of the world for me, or my bank account.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Things I wish I'd known from the start.

Thanks Yourfacetees, I'm definitely just trying to have some fun with this and see where it takes me. You know, all my life I've been very good at art and designing things, and I even use to just my create my own mini comic books just for fun. I use to actually draw during class and make copies of my books and pass them out to my classmates just for fun .... Even the jocks. A lot of folks claimed that I'm a pure example of wasted talent, and that I should have been a cartoonist or an artist, but I beg to differ, it was just a means to relax my mind and have fun.

The main reason why I would like to get into creating T-shirts is because I'm really particular when it comes to design and I think I know design pretty well. I'm not bragging but I have a knack for style and I even buy clothes for my wife that actually ends up becoming her favorite shirt/pants/ect. I always see a shirt and say to myself, heck that would be perfect if only........ Or man, this shirt is pretty lame for 50 bucks, heck I could probably do better than that. Plus it would just be so satisfying to see someone actually wearing something that you created, no better feeling in my opinion, and especially if it’s your buddies wearing it. Oh yeah, I forgot, making loot is always a motivator.

I'm not in this yet, but from past business ventures I can say one thing. You have to have confidence in your product, I don't care if it's a pink and brown T-Shirt with a bow on it, and you have to treat it like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Look and these companies that have been in business for years - they'll sell you a blank shirt with a half inch logo on it, charge $110 bucks and can't keep enough on the shelves!! Amazing isn't it?

Take care
UncleUG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Find your niche that nobody has or can copy, take it slow don't spend to much money into it one time. What you can do is make couple of prints hand it out to your friends and family let them wear it in the public, from where I come from I notice it won't get popular until someone has it on or someone sees it, so make couple different prints and hand it out don't forget to put your logo somewhere or a contact number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts