T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am working on some shirt designs, and wondering how prominent my branding should be on the shirts. Some people seem to opt for having little to no branding on their shirts, while others incorporate large logos, URLs, and the like. I'd like to have a substantial logo on the backs of my shirts (with the main design on the front), but I wonder how potential customers would react to having what is in effect an advertisement on their backs.

What are your experiences with branding your shirts? What do customers seem to like / dislike / not really care about as far as having your logo on the shirt? (In my case, people would certainly be buying for the design, and not for my branding - I mention this because I would think that this is not necessarily the case for some better-known brands.)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
There are some great past topics on this here:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127
and here:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=3148&highlight=website+address+t-shirt

Personally I think it depends on your purpose and target market (and to some extent, your company name :)).

Some customers don't mind at all, some will be opposed. If you are really working at establishing a "brand", then the benefits of branding a small logo on the upper back might outweigh the sales that might be lost.

A *big* company logo on the back might be much more off-putting than a smaller logo on a sleeve or back "tab" neckline location.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I would not wear your shirt, if it had a large logo on the back.

I've wittered on about it in the threads Rodney cited.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
In my opinion your target demographic (educated geeks - Nick being a perfect example) would not appreciate overt branding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
sagacitee,
how large do you want your company to grow? Branding is not only about the product but also about the people you employee. everybody within your organization have to be on the same page when it comes to branding. the stronger the branding the stronger the product or service. sometimes one logo can mean alot to a potential customer if the company brand image is strong and supportive of the product. look @ APPLE, NIKE, FUBU, ROCAWEAR, SEAN JOHN for example.

holla

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Solmu said:
In my opinion your target demographic (educated geeks - Nick being a perfect example) would not appreciate overt branding.
I'm super cool, thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I'll let Nick answer that one for himself :) Personally I consider geek a compliment, but he may not (in which case - sorry, no offense intended). Either way, as a university student in a position to get the jokes, who is into t-shirts... he's target audience material.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I can wash myself, and don't smell, and know what shoes to wear with a brown belt, if that classifies me as metro.

And yes, there is a slight touch of geekery about me. But in a good way. Not in a L337 TLDR sort of way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I place my brand name very small underneth the slogan on the front of the shirt. I modeled this approach from a company that I was very impressed with and it seemed to work for them. It is way to early to tell what is or is not going to work for me, so in that regard I don't know what to tell you. My target group is very small compared to most peoples and I don't think that if they mind wearing one of my shirts that they are going to care about the small website at the bottom. Well, good luck.

Dr.Froth

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does Nick also use beauty products for men? Heh. Would branding be the logo and the brand name as well? For me I have my full company name of HongKongDMZ but then I also use HKDMZ as my brand as well as a design idea. So...name and logo are both needed for branding?

·
Registered
303 Posts
You could always have your logo stitched or printed onto the edge of a sleeve rather then having it on the label or openly displayed. I'm really not sure if I'm selling my brand openly on my products now.....giving blood sure drains you. Not a pun thanks.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
hongkongdmz said:
Does Nick also use beauty products for men?
Why has this become an interrogation! Men don't have "beauty products" they have "man cleaners". I occasionallky moisturise, but anyone in Australia who doesn't looks like Paul Hogan when they're 25.

I think it's very bizarre that things which make you more attractive, like vaguely looking after your skin, are thought of as somehow "un-manly" when the end result is more women wanting to sleep with you. Very odd.

Logically, looking like you live under a bridge should be "un-manly", as most women wouldn't go within 20 feet of you, even in a gasmask.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
Branding should be as prominent as your customers will allow :D
Sounds like a good way of looking at it to me. It still amazes me just how much branding some people will take (I don't mean urls, logos, etc. added to a design, so much as shirts with a 20"x20" brand logo and nothing else).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do brands give a mood as well? Like a feeling of cool...or good quality.

They sure do! All my friends buy skateboard/snowboarding clothes yet not one of them skateboards or ever has, a few snowboard. Next time your out look at the clothes younger people wear.(18-35) When I do I mostly see people wearing Hurley,Arson,Billabong etc..etc.... I can guarantee that 90% of the people wearing these brands have nothing to do with extreme sports but associate the whole stigma of being cool with these brands. People buy a lot of things even based on they wish they were into say motor cross, snowboarding, skateboarding. This is why branding (depending on your target market) should be HUGE! I'm branding the hell out of my clothing line and I haven't even made 1 shirt yet. I have business cards and stickers and give them away and tell everyone what I'm doing every chance I can get! I want my line to be the next Billabong or Volcom. Depending on what style your getting into you can go with big splashy logos on the front or just small ones on the chest or whatever you want. I'm gonna do both just to mix it up. I like loud logos sometimes and sometimes i don't want to be a walking billboard, but why not make both styles so you can cater to more people and bring in more customers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts