T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well long story short I'm new to the business and my husband has kicked me out of the garage...I began the search for a space but the prices are to high found warehouse space 800sft but cant visualize dark room. How much space or what are alternative solutions?:confused:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. If you have any photos or can you draw me a diagram of your layout I'd love to see them. So Since the space I found for lease is only 800sf I know I will need something on a small scale. Being a new member to your exciting world of screen printing I need all the help I can get.

Dei

· Registered
99 Posts
you can use some thing as simple a a closet to create your dark room. You only need to have enough room to coat a screen and have some where to store the screen while the emulsion dries. You need a light safe area, As long as you dont let the emulsion get into direct light you will be fine. I have seen the use of an old bath tub to rinse out screens. Good luck hope this helps a little

· Registered
11 Posts
Depends on what space you have available. If you are strapped for space and are not doing too many screens at once you may want to read on.
You don't actually need a dark room (as in photography) you need a safe light area.
The safe light colour for screen printing is yellow light;and in this environment you should be able to store screens for up to 2 weeks before they 'fog' or start to expose.
Additionally you should know that the emulsion is not sensitive to light while in its wet form.
So you can coat a screen in the kitchen, during the day time and place it in a dark cupboard to dry, at night (or with thick curtains drawn) have a lamp with a yellow bulb, this is now your safe light area. Place your design on the screen, and eighter expose it in the morning sun or on your exposure unit if you have one.
The amount of light the screen printing emulsion needs to start exposing greater than the amount of light photographic papers need to start exposing.
I hope this helps....let me know

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are wonderful. I really appreciate your and everyones assistance. I feel honored to be a part of this unique and caring family. You guys are AWESOME! Boy does this info make it much easier. Thank you oh so much!!

Dei

· Registered
665 Posts
I am finishing up a 28' x 16' addition to the garage to do my shirts.
Now I am considering building a wall inside with a door so I will have a dark room.
Would a 6' x 16' be overkill for a wash tub, exposure box, drying rack and say a 4 foot square table?

I guess I need to layout these items on the floor and see if I can move around.

· Registered
560 Posts
I am finishing up a 28' x 16' addition to the garage to do my shirts.
Now I am considering building a wall inside with a door so I will have a dark room.
Would a 6' x 16' be overkill for a wash tub, exposure box, drying rack and say a 4 foot square table?

I guess I need to layout these items on the floor and see if I can move around.
It is NOT totally necessary to have a dedicated darkroom. At the absolute minimum you need to have a cabinet or some way to protect your unexposed screens from uv light. My solution was as simple as a screen rack with a black king sized sheet draped over it. Never had a problem. You can coat screens in daylight and the emulsion is not light sensitive until dry.

The big advantage of having an actual dark room is the ability to control humidity and to keep a clean area for the process but it is not totally necessary at all.

· Registered
174 Posts
our dark room is 8' x 20' but we also have all screen processes in this room. made a screen storage unit out of an old refrigerator. trying to figure out a way to add a small forced air heater to it so we can also use it for a drying unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.