T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,086 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when looking at cramped conditions is the type of heat press - clam or swing-away style. The swing-away presses will take up more working space because you need room for the top platen to swing.

But in general they don't take up all too much space; depending on the size of the press, a large microwave is a pretty good comparison (but make sure you also have room in front of the press to work).

· Registered
2,086 Posts
Speaking of fumes, I might as well also mention that heating up the teflon causes fumes which will be harmful (potentially deadly) to pet birds.

The only thing really resembling a fire hazard issue (vaguely) that I can think of is the occasional electrical problems associated with Geo Knight brand presses. Otherwise, just don't leave your press on when you're not using it and don't have lose fabric/paper right next to it and you should be fine.

· Registered
2,086 Posts
T-BOT said:
Can you please explain this ?
How does a heat press Teflon sheet hurt the enviroment when heat is applied to it ?

Never heard of such a thing, but i'm willing to learn. :)
Kent's got it mostly covered there. Birds are more suseptible to gases like that -- that's why they use canaries in mine shafts to test for gasses; the bird will die before the gasses build up enough to be deadly to humans, generally.

I don't know precisely how easily or often teflon breaks dow simply by heating it, but I've seen people mention it too often to write it off as a rarity. I don't think there's much danger to cats or dogs generally, but birds and teflon are not a good mix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.