T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a friend down in FL who wants some shirts and it's 154 shirts, 3 colors total.
A hand sized logo on the front,three color total and writing on the back, I think it's a single line. The shirt will go on a navy blue shirt.

I dont have any problem printing if the order is due like in two weeks or something. But they want it in 4 days, so they want it by Thursday night and I live in N.C. And I wasn't told of the design or sizes until 10 minutes ago and its a little too late to place orders for the day. I can drive over to my supplier's place on monday. (2 hour drive) And then I guess print on monday night and Tuesday and ship that afternoon or first thing on Wednesday morning.

So how much should I charge for this order? I want to do it since its for a friend and the school is leaning towards us for a longer contract. So I want to be reasonble yet not lose any money. I figure it probabaly will cost be around $500 to print and who knows how much the shipping is....

Any ideas??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
were you taking off on holidays next week or something ?
do the job.

ask them to send their own carrier to pick up if you're to shy to tell them that shipping will be pricey.

well, the more friends you have the less money you make... :)

Ah do the job, give them a break, friends and all.....maybe future business too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so how much would it be a reasonble figure to ask? I been talking to like ten different school supervisiors and non of them knows how much they want to spend....

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
If it costs you about $500 to print 154 shirts, that's about $3.24 per shirt for your cost. Charging a dollar or 2 above that would net you $150-$300 profit for the order which sounds pretty decent. Since it's a last minute order (and the stress that goes with that), you may want to add a "rush" fee to compensate :)

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
das_king said:
so how much would it be a reasonable figure to ask? I been talking to like ten different school supervisors and non of them knows how much they want to spend....
Collect up front. We just had an order for 100 coffee mugs from a 'friend' and after we purchased the mugs but before we printed them the order went to 80. We based our price on 100, not 80 and we didn't collect any money up front. Fortunately, we got another mug order as a result of this one so I will be able to use the extras.

Rodney said:
If it costs you about $500 to print 154 shirts, that's about $3.24 per shirt for your cost. Charging a dollar or 2 above that ...
Wow! that little. I will send work your way. I generally see prices at cost +110% for the best pricing. This covers the cost of overhead for the printer and gives him a little profit and the ability to offer a wholesale price. Two bucks is a 62% markup which may cover the cost of the shirts and ink but what about rent/electricity/labor/incidentals/etc?

We pay about $7 for shirts printed front/back from the screen printer (4 color each side which gives us a nice retail markup to between $12 and $15 plus sales tax, plus shipping/handling.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Das King . . the shipping cost is going to be around 60.00+ from NC to Fl . .

I just shipped 70 Tee's to Tallahassee Fl . . . . it cost me $28.80 (37 lbs) that includes $800.00 worth of insurance and that included a signature upon delivery . .
my cost of transfers $73.00 (100 sheets from QLT.com)
I purchased 75 Tee's -- cost was $98.00, and cost of ink/epson was 106.00
I didn't charge any set up fee and I didn't charge for any upsizing . .
I normally charge 16.00 per Tee for "custom work"
but for an order of this size I charged $11.00 per tee . .
and gave the buyer free shipping
they also needed the tee's within 4 days . .
shipping within state it only takes one day . . .
but from NC to Fl. . . it will take 3 days . unless you or they pay for overnight shipping and that will be pricey . .
pressing 154 Tee's front and back . . thats like pressing 308 Tee's .*ugh*~ . .

since there is only 'me" that does all the footwork -- that total order took me 5 days -- one full day of designing and 3 days printing and pressing and the last day for folding, packing and shipping

hope this gives you some type of an idea

Diane ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
A 4 day short order like that would get a high number from me. Remember their emergency isnt yours. Time costs just like anything else. Ive done an order for a banner that "just had to have in the morning" Well they got it, but at a 150% increase. Dont forget to bill properly for your time.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
hongkongdmz said:
Do short orders happen often?
Every order is short....;) Well, it seems that way.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
We pay about $7 for shirts printed front/back from the screen printer (4 color each side which gives us a nice retail markup to between $12 and $15 plus sales tax, plus shipping/handling.
That's a different spec from 3 colors on the front and 1 color on the back for 150 shirts :)

Yeah, that's pretty low. I would never rush like that for $150 or $200.
Well, I did say he should add a rush fee :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts