T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
agree, too many variables. what if you design a logo for a company that becomes nike for example. most big-time co's go to design houses that make tons of money while their production artist makes $15/hr. some have contracts for limited use, royalties and provisions that protect the designer. if you are a small based designer and it's a small co. just starting out the 50-500 range sounds right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
wow... $50 - $500? only for logo design? wow... it is too expensive. Just PM me your budget, I will send you email of my designer, maybe he will help you with fair, reasonable prices and appropriate budget. You can ask him (my designer) to help you design your new logo design.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hate threads like these. Vallians a question for you... your "artist" will design a custom logo (with multiple submissions of new designs) that will appeal to the end user, not contain stock or clipart, be 100% original, and will be finalized in vector and binary files... for less than $50? Even if this was true, and could actually happen, it doesn't say much about the actual client that they place such a low value on their logo and would WANT a logo for less thann $50 (they spend at least that much on a single office chair). I'll bet that any logo designed for less than $50 has very little thought about it's design, the end users it's designed to appeal to, and it's long term use and viability. More likely the "artist" will type out the company name, pick a typeface that THEY like, and add a clipart star or some aimless non-functional element to one side. Yes, that is probably a $50 logo... and a TOTAL COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME FOR THE CLIENT.

Of course I could we wrong... but logo design is 80% of my daily work. I research, think, sketch, design, and propose - all with the end user in mind. I set a limit on the numbers of original proposals at the very beginning (number varies depending on the projected complexity, somewhere between 4 and 10 new designs) and I try very very hard to come up with great designs from the start. But that's me. Not everyone, artists or clients, take logo design as seriously. I typically invoice between $85 and $220.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
i agree with points from both graphicsman and rickwtexas.

vallians is at a disadvantage to this discussion as:

1) he is not the designer
2) he's in indonesia, where (no offense) a designer would probably fight for the chance to do a logo for $50.

alot of the pricing depends on where you are located (talking u.s.), as the pricing where i live right outside of nyc would be higher than for a guy like rick in texas. cost of living, cost of doing business in nyc.

most any business that is going to go public (stocks) one day is going to have a big budget up front for marketing/adv which would include their company identity which includes everything from the logo design to letterhead, business cards, then down the road that design house would also do their brochures, annual reports etc. these companies pay hundreds of thousands for this, if not more. that's the nikes and the coca-colas of the world.

a mom and pop business just starting out is a tricky call. contracts are a must when doing logos. there must be written in the number of original comps/sketches, the number of revisions and a clause stating how your logo is used and at what scope. hell, they could turn into a big market player in what they do and have that logo plastered on every can of peaches from here to indonesia and what did you get paid........$50?

do yourself a favor and research some contracts that other designers use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're looking for variety, I suggest heading on over to crowdspring.com :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
As someone who has designed t-shirts to signs, you should be working on a per hour rate. So if its a simple design it wont take long and keeps the customers cost down. If they want a very detailed design then they have to be willing to pay for it. Also, if they ask for revision after revision then they know each time they ask for a change means more money. Most graphic designers charge anywhere from $50 to $100 an hour. vallians your crazy if you think $50 to $500 bucks is to expensive. Tell me, if i design something plus, 50 revisions and it totals to like 6 hours why i should only charge, what? $20?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since when did anyone come up with a more fair and reliable formula than hours x rate?:) It's fair to both client and designer.

Of course, the budget can have a cap, but if the logo is important it's a good way to end up with half the job for half the money.

·
Registered
522 Posts
We have a well respected board member that
goes by the user name Revboyjames that can
give you an estimate on your ideas.

We used him and had a great experience and
James is a great talent to have on your team.

He has a website where you can see his work

google freelance fridge.

Several board members have used him and our
projects are posted on his site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As mentioned by previous people here, there are many variables when it comes to logo design. I have designed lots of logos ranging from $85 to $500. To me it all comes down to the time spend doing research about the company for whome i'm doing the design. It can take me 1 day upto 2 weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As someone who has designed t-shirts to signs, you should be working on a per hour rate. So if its a simple design it wont take long and keeps the customers cost down. If they want a very detailed design then they have to be willing to pay for it. Also, if they ask for revision after revision then they know each time they ask for a change means more money. Most graphic designers charge anywhere from $50 to $100 an hour. vallians your crazy if you think $50 to $500 bucks is to expensive. Tell me, if i design something plus, 50 revisions and it totals to like 6 hours why i should only charge, what? $20?
Yeah... it can $20 since cost for designer in Indonesia are not expensive and still in good quality. In my office, I have my own designer to design website, company logo, brochure, etc, all.. no more than $500 he is also a multimedia lecturer in college. so, if I can get reasonable price with same quality, why not. IMHO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is an Indonesian designer going to have the same ideas on the target market as an American designer. I feel that his logo will be as effective as if I tried designing in my own style for an Indonesian market. I think my idea of the culture based on film and reading would be drastically different from the actual culture. I also agree with everyone else that a logo is one of the most important pieces of art a company will purchase. It should be the visual representation of the company and to entrust that to a high school kid or a guy across the world who will never get the chance to talk to or see the company first hand seems absolutely crazy. Plus if you support you're local economy that money will stay in the community and benefit you and your business for years to come.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go onto elance.com and look at portfolios from artists in other countries (and inexperienced artists from anywhere including the US) and you'll see a few common threads: lots of cloned logos, fake logos, stockart logos, and massively poor typeface selections (when is Times Roman Bold appropriate for a progressive IT company logo... never). These days ask an artist to design you a logo and the first thing they do is to search Google images for a similar logo to "borrow" from. Sad, and here I am still using sketch pads...

Hey Vallians, why not post some of the logos from your artist for us to look at. You might just sway a few of us... :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts