T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
56,238 Posts
How much does it normally cost to trademark your brand name? And soes it differ by state?
The application fees are listed here: Trademarks Home (click View Fee Schedule)

Right now it says the fee is $375, but that's just the application fee. There's no guarantee that if you apply that you'll be granted a trademark. More info on that is in the link I provided.

You can also pay a service like LegalZoom to do it for you. They can help do the necessary searches and help you with the paperwork and specimens needed to help increase your chances of having your trademark approved and make the process easier.

When I registered my trademark, I used a third party service (not legalzoom), and my mark was still initially rejected. I had to hire yet another 3rd party to help me appeal the rejection to get the trademark finally approved.

Hope this helps some :)

· Registered
543 Posts
ive been doing research on their web site and im finding it unclear about the fee... is it for all items (ie. name, logo, and symbol) or if $375 is going to be charged for each specimen?

· Registered
543 Posts
If i were starting a clothing label, which would be the best of the three to register first? because i dont have 1,200 dollars to blow on this? or is it better to wait until i do?

· Registered
7,118 Posts
You should register the brand name. It may not even be necessary to register the logo or symbol, but you could always do it later on if you really want to.

Typically, copyrights are for works of art and trademarks are for logos, symbols and brand names. That said, if you want to consider your logo or symbol a work of art, then you technically can copyright it. But it wouldn't grant you the legal protection and recourse you are probably expecting.

Long story short, copyright is not a good alternative to trademark.

· Registered
129 Posts
At the least, register the trade name(s) with your state. In AZ you register with the Sec of State's office for $10 each name. That gives you exclusive right to the name in your state. I would think you could do the same in other key states as well.. ?

· Registered
10,342 Posts
You can slap a TM on your mark and you will be protected somewhat in the market you are in, generally your state if you are in the USA.

· Registered
479 Posts
it cost me 375 dollars to trade mark my logo myself. Its good for 10 years
You will most likely be denied the first time and they will give you the reason, reply to the letter with fixed problems and you should be ok.
The USPTO assigns you a trademark lawyer to look over your mark and you can speak with him/her about it.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
You can slap a TM on your mark and you will be protected somewhat in the market you are in, generally your state if you are in the USA.
Using the ™ symbol does not actually offer any protection. It simply means that you are *claiming* rights to a mark. To be protected within your market, you need to have proof of use in commerce.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.