T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I wanted to say hello, as I am new on this forum :)!

I've read many posts here and couldn't find anything that would help me. My question is, how much a junior t-shirt designer could expect to earn?
I am employed as an in-house designer in a new company, and as I didn't have any previous professional experience I've agreed to a £7.50 hourly rate to start with.

After working in the same place several months the company got much bigger and sales rocketed, and for a design I got paid £20 they earned thousands within a month... it has happened to a lot of my projects.

I know how difficult it's to get a job and so on, but I am proficient in my skills and on top of using all the software I posses good illustration skills. I was just wondering if this is normal and how can I get out of this? I guess freelance would be a better option. Can you always expect to earn royalties from your designs?

I don't want to end jobless but this just doesn't seem right :(

I'd value opinion of someone more experienced... thanks in advance!

·
Registered
216 Posts
In your currency I was charging around £84+tax per hour as a freelance designer. For a full time graphic desiger I would charge around £2800 /month as minimum.
Edit: If you dont have a proper education, or is skilled as F you might go abit lower.. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for a reply!
I do have a proper education, I graduated last year with the highest mark in a relevant subject.

However, this is my first job in the industry and the company is small. I think charging that much would not work.

I'll be talking to my boss soon, I am a bit afraid he will not want to change our current arrangement... and finding a different job with someone with less than a year experience like me will be very difficult.

I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not being unreasonable here :eek:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Just to get in the business and get experience is sometimes more valuable than money. The more skills and experience you have, the more you can charge later on. But don't be too kind. You have to stand up for your self!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is exactly what I'm trying to do here: but where is the line I simply do not know :(.

It is a bit annoying to sell my artwork for not much more than I would earn as a shop assistant - and they will still sell it after I no longer work there.

I guess I'll wait until I have at least 1 year experience and if this doesn't change I'll have to change the job. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
well .. £7.50 .. it must be hard. especially if you live in london. however i do understand your employer, they are still kings and queens. for them is more like 'take it or leave it' situation, because they have got hundreds and hundreds who would like to work for £7.50. also it's hard to judge your work, because we don't know how complicated it is. as far as i know designers for one t shirt design charge around £120-160 per design, but they are more or less designers with 'word' and they are freelancers .. so they have to think about all aspects of running business. in your case you don't have to think about that. just turn up at 9am and don't forget to leave at 5pm .. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
FWIW, if you're working for someone the work you put in and what they make off it are never going to seem "fair" for the employees perspective. Since you're on a tshirt site I'm assuming you're designing shirts. So, why not start your own company? You can do this online with almost no overhead. If it fails, who cares..You're out the 5$ bill it cost to buy a domain name lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.