T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get in on vending at some music festivals this summer and i was wondering around how many shirts I should bring. thanks for any help on this subject

·
Registered
30 Posts
Total crapshoot, unfortunately. Depends on the size of the show, the look of the shirts, etc. I'd start on the safe side and go with the lowest number you think of.
Dan
AcmePrints.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just went to the Ryonet class and learned how to do plastisol transfers - you should look into it for your music festival! You make them yourself, they store for a long time, and then you can take blank shirts, a heat transfer, and your plastisol transfers to the music festival. You make the shirts as the customer orders them - then if you don't sell them all you haven't wasted a shirt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really gonna have to to go and just see how it goes. You never really know. Better to bring too few tees i think and sell out, instead of printing way to many and having tons of left over. But i guess you could just sell them next time or online to get rid of the extras...

·
Administrator
14,019 Posts
If they are shirts people want, it's not unreasonable to sell to 1 out of every 100 persons attending. Trick is having enough size and colors for buyers to choose from. That's where the transfer method Sally mentioned is ideal; if you have power for the press.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
As suggested above, I always take plastisol transfers and blank tees for my events and I take as many shirts I can of each size. (although smalls are never big sellers for me.) I can always store the transfers and I don't have printed shirts laying around. When I did my first music festival I had the shirts printed up first, I took 1000 shirts with 4 different colors & designs and sold 740 shirts. Of course I had 260 shirts left over and because they had the date on them no chance of selling them at another event. (Stay away from dates at these events if you can) The events that I attend are large events that last the entire weekend like the Essence Music Festival, Mardi Gras, Budweiser Music festival and the Summer jazz festival. The crowds are fairly large and the booths are pricey but by doing transfers allows me to offer more variety, and eliminates wasting blanks.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just curious. If you pay for a booth at a music festival, can you sell shirts with the festivals name on it, or does that usually require a separate fee?

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
We do alot of school athletic events and we have found through our experiences that we are close to 20% conversion of sales using the # of athletes present, but there are a number of things that affect this like the design (is it cool?), the economic status of your clients, the type of event. And you definitely want to do transfers. I could not imagine how much money you would waste pre printing shirts. Sometimes you do great when you think you are just going to do average and unfortunately the opposite can and will happen too. You also have to think about the weather. It can play a huge roll in your success. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
We do alot of school athletic events and we have found through our experiences that we are close to 20% conversion of sales using the # of athletes present, but there are a number of things that affect this like the design (is it cool?), the economic status of your clients, the type of event. And you definitely want to do transfers. I could not imagine how much money you would waste pre printing shirts. Sometimes you do great when you think you are just going to do average and unfortunately the opposite can and will happen too. You also have to think about the weather. It can play a huge roll in your success. Good Luck!

At school events what types of transfers do you sell? Are they mostly geared towards the school or the sport, or more general?

Can one person handle bringing a press with them or is that a two person job minimum>

Thanks

·
Administrator
14,019 Posts
We do alot of school athletic events and we have found through our experiences that we are close to 20% conversion of sales
You will always have a higher conversion rate with a common-interested audience. Festivals are a completely different animal. Don't go in thinking you will get close to that rate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im trying to get in on vending at some music festivals this summer and i was wondering around how many shirts I should bring. thanks for any help on this subject
Over the years i have done many outdoor events and printed thousands of event shirts for other vendors.

Best way to know is year to year experience at the same event.

The one event that i still am part of, we take 600 dozen to that event. We have always been able to sell 400 dozen and sometimes over 600. After years of doing this event i learned to date the first 400 dozen and not date the last 200 dozen.

If any of the 200d is left over we date those on the back for next year and sell them first

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Over the years i have done many outdoor events and printed thousands of event shirts for other vendors.

Best way to know is year to year experience at the same event.

The one event that i still am part of, we take 600 dozen to that event. We have always been able to sell 400 dozen and sometimes over 600. After years of doing this event i learned to date the first 400 dozen and not date the last 200 dozen.

If any of the 200d is left over we date those on the back for next year and sell them first
That is a cool idea, I am going to try that..... date half and the other half without a date. I will be doing the Caribbean Festival this Memorial day and I am going to see how that works out. I am only going with about 400 shirts as this event is not as large as others I attend but I am hoping for good sales.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We are supposed to be providing official apparel for a VERY LARGE event later this year. They are already creating somewhat of a frenzy - and anticipate attendance at around 250K. Yes - a quarter million people.
Obviously, going the transfer route would not work well at an event of this size. WE were thinking 2 different shirt designs and a custom cap design, as well as other types of chachkis... (keychains, flashlights, etc).
We've been throwing around the idea of offering them for sale online to start with - with a coupon when they buy their tickets. I would think this would give us some sort of idea of how many we'll need at the actual event.
I would welcome any input on numbers that we should take with us - we've not done any ventures of this magnitude before.

·
Administrator
14,019 Posts
We are supposed to be providing official apparel for a VERY LARGE event later this year. They are already creating somewhat of a frenzy - and anticipate attendance at around 250K. Yes - a quarter million people.
Obviously, going the transfer route would not work well at an event of this size. WE were thinking 2 different shirt designs and a custom cap design, as well as other types of chachkis... (keychains, flashlights, etc).
We've been throwing around the idea of offering them for sale online to start with - with a coupon when they buy their tickets. I would think this would give us some sort of idea of how many we'll need at the actual event.
I would welcome any input on numbers that we should take with us - we've not done any ventures of this magnitude before.
I think the website idea is a good one, including shirts. But I don't think it will give you an indication of what you will sell on site. How could it? Certainly, you should expect to sell more at the event, but there is no formula for how much more.

The event should be able to give you sales numbers from previous years, no? That should give you a pretty good idea on what to expect.

250K folks at a pay event! That is rare indeed. You should be busy. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would love to have a previous event to go by. Alas - this is the "first annual".

This is a logistical headache - we want to do some REALLY cool stuff, but it's just not coming together with enough lead time to get everything done.

On a kind of side note - what about caps? any idea a - what people will pay for them at one of these events, and b - how many of THOSE I should have on hand?

The event is going to be in Texas, if that's any help.

·
Administrator
14,019 Posts
this is the "first annual".
Red flags, red flags, red flags. This changes the entire dynamics. Firstly, you can't and shouldn't trust the 250K attendance propaganda. Because that's just what it is.

Best case is they will have half that number. Worse case, will depend on the event. If you can share what it is, I can tell you how many folks might come.

I would hate to see you stock up for 250K and only have 10K show up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I will have more details later. It's going to be held at a very large venue, and rumor (within the chief organizers) has it that some of the biggest acts of all time are beating the door down to attend. I wish I could say more - I'm kinda sworn to quiet at this time.

I think they'll have the draw - it's for a charitable effort - but - I'm also very, very skeptical. I don't like getting stuck with extra tshirts - that's why we have a GT-541!

As I find out more, I'll let you know - maybe by PM.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
175 Posts
At school events what types of transfers do you sell? Are they mostly geared towards the school or the sport, or more general?

Can one person handle bringing a press with them or is that a two person job minimum>

Thanks

Louie We usually have one print that is a tournament shirt (ie, wrestling tournament, softball tourney, etc.) we then have anywhere from 8-15 designs that they can choose to put on the back or wherever they want them....These designs are generally sport specific sayings and slogans. Yes you really need 2 people to be efficient if and when you get busy although I have done it alone and have seen it done alone it is much more difficult.....As for the percentage, I whole heartedly agree that you will probably not get the same sales conversion you get in the schools. I will tell you however that is much better to sale out than to have way to many left over. I have been on both sides of that and selling out is much better :)
Good Luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts