T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to wrap my head around why anyone would use more than 2 registration marks (top and bottom) for t-shirt printing, and I would very much appreciate anything that people have to say on this topic.

If we all remember from geometry class, two points determine a line, and three define a plane. If we want our screens to register on press, we need to first get our planes (pallet and screen) in parallel. Once that is done, if any two points on the screens line up (i.e. the reg targets), you should be in register!

I've found that I can get good registration from leveling the screen with the pallet, getting the screens in line on the y-axis (as in the line down the center of the pallet to the center of the carousel), and then fine-tuning how far up and down the targets are from one another along that line with the micro knobs.

I recently heard that some people need side registration targets in addition to the top and bottom marks, because "it provides another point of reference and it helps." I can't seem to fathom why this could be the case, because if a side registration mark is off, it may because the squeegee stroke is uneven from left to right hand, because the registration is off, or, because the screen isn't level with the pallet. In other words, in my estimation, side registration mark misalignment could be interpreted in a few different ways, while just two marks tell you what you need to know: if your screens are aligned or not.

I guess what made this so flabbergasting to hear was the notion that more registration marks=tighter, more accurate registration. If this is the case, wouldn't 6 marks yield better reg? What about 12 marks?

Can someone help me understand this? I always thought 2 was industry standard. What do you use in your shop? 2? 4? More? Why?

Thanks!

James

· Registered
4,694 Posts
I use 3. One each centered in the top and bottom margins, and one more off to the top-left side aligned with the other top mark.

I seldom refer to that third mark, other than as a reminder of which end is the top and which side of the film should face up. That may seem unnecessary, but it costs nothing to do, and adds one more clue for the occasional design that features backward text or an upside down human figure (of which I have several). One in particular I consistently try to mount on press upside down until I notice the marks.

· Premium Member
1,101 Posts
This can also depend on the experience of the press operator. A real good one might not need more than 2, a newbie might struggle with 20. it has always amazed me when a new press operator tries to line up their first 4 or 5 color ;):D....

· Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Too a person that has never printed lining up a multi color job can be daunting. The more reference points the better chance to get it right. To an experienced press operator the registrations marks are a starting point and then use the eye to give it the final registration. I have seen press operators ( both transfers and garments ) that could line up in a few minutes. And others that took forever . To ME experience is more important that how many registration marks you have .;)

· Registered
79 Posts
Forgot one valid point and that is pin registration (that is if you even use it) - with pin registration systems , those registration marks go 75% of the time unused - Pin Regs will get press op close enough.

· Registered
8,374 Posts
For a manual press 2 or so works. If one has a auto with front and rear micros having them at all 4 corners is helpful. I’ve always used either 4 centered or 4 corners. I think it’s easier to see the adjustments needed.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
You can get away with 2, but I prefer to use 4 centered on the sides and top/bottom.

If you mark your no1 platten with 2 centre lines - X & Y - I find it makes registration easier because you are registering the screens with each other and also the centre of the platen. As long as the image is placed on the film relative to where it needs to go on the garment ( ie - breast logo xInches from the centre line) only a small amount of adjustment is needed.

· Registered
7 Posts
we use 2 on our automatics top center and bottom center of the design. that will get you close enough that a couple little micro adjustments has you rocking and rollin. Remember your not selling registration marks, if the design looks good RUN IT

· Registered
46 Posts
I draw a line up the middle of my pallet, My registration is a line at the top and at the bottom centered on the artwork, pick my sep with the most detail put it on the pallet and line up off that.. simple takes maybe 15-20 minutes to line up a 6 color, maybe some small adjusts at each color usually only print 1 print as I'm lining up and one test print...

· Registered
126 Posts
We use 3: 2 on top (one on either side) and one centered on the bottom. I've found it helps to see minor "rotation" adjustment needs. Sometimes the top two seem to align perfectly but the bottom one will be off slightly, showing a need to rotate the screen. We do mostly spot color printing, butting colors with no overlap. Dot gain usually gives us a little wiggle room, but accurate alignment is usually required. I've found simulated process is much more forgiving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.