T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title. This is my first foray and while my target audience is between 21 to 45, I've no clue exactly how much of each size I should get. Can someone provide advice? Or is this a total stab in the dark kind of thing? I would like to get an educated guess if possible.

Looking at 100 pieces, size S, M, L, XL, 2XL and 3XL.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Is it something women would wear? If so, in a style of their own, or a man's cut? If the latter, you may sell more Sm and Md than if only men are buying men's shirts.

At LOT depends upon the typical "girth" of your target demographic; these days, age isn't a great indicator of that, but other things might be. Are they basement dwelling nerds, exercise freaks, health nuts, fast food eating TV zombies?

If there is really no way to make a good guess, I would go very light on the extremes and heavy on the middle. Something like: 5, 25, 30, 25, 10, 5 if just for men.
Maybe: 15, 30, 30, 20, 5, 0 if 50% women.

I sell everything from Sm junior cut ladies to 5X boxy men's shirts to ... women. One size/style does not fit all. I've noticed many times when looking at listings online, that Sm men's is typically the last size left when a design is mostly sold out--so it seems many over estimate the demand for that size.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it something women would wear? If so, in a style of their own, or a man's cut? If the latter, you may sell more Sm and Md than if only men are buying men's shirts. At LOT depends upon the typical "girth" of your target demographic; these days, age isn't a great indicator of that, but other things might be. Are they basement dwelling nerds, exercise freaks, health nuts, fast food eating TV zombies?
Actually, I've two styles of t-shirt : one unisex and the other is a ladies style (something like those Gildan Ladies etc.)

Since my target are dog owners, it's hard to gauge based on this.

If there is really no way to make a good guess, I would go very light on the extremes and heavy on the middle. Something like: 5, 25, 30, 25, 10, 5 if just for men.
Maybe: 15, 30, 30, 20, 5, 0 if 50% women.
Thanks, I'll use those figures as a guide then.

Btw, how popular are those ladies style t-shirts in general? Those Bella+Canvas ladies, Gildan Ladies tee etc. Do females usually wear unisex t-shirts or most of them go for ladies tees?

I heard unisex is actually more for men.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Actually, I've two styles of t-shirt : one unisex and the other is a ladies style (something like those Gildan Ladies etc.)

Since my target are dog owners, it's hard to gauge based on this.

Thanks, I'll use those figures as a guide then.

Btw, how popular are those ladies style t-shirts in general? Those Bella+Canvas ladies, Gildan Ladies tee etc. Do females usually wear unisex t-shirts or most of them go for ladies tees?

I heard unisex is actually more for men.
Unisex is usually just marketing speak for: "I'm selling you a men's cut instead of bothering to carry women's styles." Look at the chest measurements and you'll probably see that your "unisex" shirt is in fact a men's shirt.

Yes, I have found that women's styles do quite well. For Tees and Tanks I carry both a slim style and a curvy/relaxed style. Besides weight and body mass index and all that blather--women have boobs, and those can vary greatly in mass regardless of the general girth of the woman they happen to be attached to. Then beyond that, women with more of a round or pear body type go with a men's cut.

Dogs owners ... yeah, with that you have to figure that you are going to get an unskewed slice of the American populace.

You will certainly make some mistakes along the way. Keep them small enough so you survive to use that knowledge next time.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
As your targeted audience is 21 to 45, so their physical growth at stable level. Why you are targeting so many sizes? I think S,M, L, XL would be fine.
These days in the USA, I don't think age is a good indicator of size. Better indicators might be lifestyle and interests. merka has gotten B I G :eek: I sell more 2X than Sm. Today I'm printing a 5X. YMMV :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.