T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all-

Happy New Year!

I have a question regarding dark shirts. We're having trouble getting our designs to "pop".

I'm not sure if it's the artwork being too dark, or maybe a white ink issue.

Our distributor told us that most dark shirts will need two layers of white ink and one layer of color ink.

How are you printing dark shirts?

Can you go three layers of white?

How about two passes of white and two passes of color?

What density do you use on the white ink?

Thankee!

Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, it all depends on what printer your using to start. Then what condition is your print head. But, most all are printing at 1440 print mode one pass and see not need to do more because the ink is not cheap! I would recommend that if all of the above is good that you look at your pretreatment procedure. Make sure you are laying down enough, but not to much. Conunt to 15 applying it in a side to side motion as if you were painting a car going top to bottom and then returning to the top and repeat for the entire 15 seconds concentrating on your printable area. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a new HM1 and are using RIPPRO V.04. We have the new WIMS system and it comes on every two hours so I'm assuming the white ink is being properly mixed.

As for density, we're typically using these settings:
Graphic: Print Quality: 720 x 720. This is for color ink only, right?

Printer Features: White Ink Density: Heavy. Should we be setting this to "Same as Color"?

Looking around I also found this setting:
Auto White Highlight Threshold, which is set to Off. Should this be set to "White Mask Only"?

Don- Do you have access to the graphic from the movie "Cars"? I have a sample of this shirt and it looks like something DTG America came up with. This graphic has a white rectangle at the bottom of the design and I'm wondering if we should be using that as a guide to whether we're getting enough white ink on our shirts...

Thanks, all!

Chris

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Chris,

If you are not getting good enough white when you use the Heavy setting AND you are getting a good nozzle check (95%+) the the problem is most likely your pre-treatment method. An HM-1 set to Heavy for white ink will often "pool" white ink when the shirt is properly pre-treated. My suggestion is to saturate a dark shirt with pre-treat, dry it in your press then print. It will not wash well, but will show you how good your white should be. Once you have gotten good white this way, begin reducing the amount of pre-treatment until you see the white ink begin to degrade, then bump it back up a bit and you should be where you need to be.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
An HM-1 set to Heavy for white ink will often "pool" white ink when the shirt is properly pre-treated. My suggestion is to saturate a dark shirt with pre-treat, dry it in your press then print. It will not wash well, but will show you how good your white should be. Once you have gotten good white this way, begin reducing the amount of pre-treatment until you see the white ink begin to degrade, then bump it back up a bit and you should be where you need to be.
Don,

Well I'll be. I can see your head has not been sunbaked down there in Florida.

This is probably the most definitive explaination that has been given regarding pretreatment. Maybe you should head up your own post entitled 'Proper Pretreatment For Dark Shirts" or something like that. I think this would be most helpful to our newer customers and to those that have never made dark shirts work.

I also believe that this will also help with different areas of the country/world where there is high humidity or lack there of and temperature differences from sunny Tampa to rainy/snowy Seattle.

"I rarely ink, ergo, am I?"

Kenny W.
Mesa

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here is how I do it. This is how my trainer taught me and it works for me.

White ink settings:
Print quality: 1440X720
Color appearance: photo normal
Layer type: White mask layer (hard)
White passes: 1
Media type: what ever you are printing on i.e. black cotton
White ink density: medium density

Settings for the color layers:
Print quality: 720X720
Color appearance: photo normal
Layer type: Color layer
Color passes: 2
There is no need to change the other settings you entered for the white layer as they are not in play with the color layers.

I would NEVER put down three layers of white! I don't ever even have a need to put down two layers.
If you are having trouble with putting down enough white ink then there may be other problems. (Clogged nozzles, rip issues etc.) If I were to put down three layers of white using the above settings it would run off the shirt when I picked it up.

Good luck Chris.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts