T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have some transfer paper sitting here and my Epson 1800 using OEM pigment ink.
Will the quality of the printed transfer deteriorate over time if i stored it in say a folder in a drawer? Or is it best to print the transfer and then press it onto the garment ASAP?
Does anyone print large runs of transfers and then just press them when needed at a later date?

many thanks

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
If you allow them to dry and then keep them protected in a plastic bag. I have kept transfers for weeks before printing. .... JB

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have kept transfers MONTHS, sometimes YEARS before pressing.

We purchase premade inkjet transfers in '6's' and store in file cabinets in plastic folders. We press designs from over 2000 images on demand. While, occasionally one fails for some reason or another, 98% press without issue.

I have discovered that propane can discolor transfer paper. We have a little unvented propane fireplace in our dining room and have to be careful not to expose any transfer paper during the winter season.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have used transfers I pre-printed a year before (Xmas trade) with no problems. I keep mine in polythene bags to keep them away from contaminants.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
We have been selling transfers for over 35 years and have yet to find any stock designs that really deteriorate with age. Ideally keeping them in a cool dry place will help the longevity. We have not heard of any problems regarding printing custom designs on transfer paper and losing the quality over a period of time. I don't believe that that is a practice that is used by many people. Most print on demand.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Note that the question was about pigment ink transfer paper transfers, not stock transfers. I have printed and stored my transfers in plastic sleeves for many months. These are JPSS paper using Epson OEM durabrite ink. I also store DC laser printer transfers and I do find that they will scratch easily as they age, so I am now more careful with them as I pull them out....

I too am curious how long folks have had their JPSS and Duracotton transfers last before they press them.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have some from when Lou first talk about them. And I think they are close to ten months now they are still very nice just put them in zip lock bags and cool dry place.

and yes they are JPSS with DuraBrite Ink.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Me, too. I have used JPSS since early December and no issues with using any prints I made back then. Just keep the humidity away from them, but that goes for unprinted papers as well. :)

Interesting discovery, Grey, re: propane. Thanks for sharing. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts