T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an online store that just went up yesterday and I was wondering how long I should wait till I should sell to stores? My friends and friends of friends seem to like my design so I'm quite confident that it'll do well. Any tips on contacting stores? Anyone have experience and tips on doing this?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

-Tim C.
KTB Brand® | A Clothing Company

·
Administrator
14,017 Posts
any ways that i could go about selling into stores? do i just walk in and ask to talk to the owner?
Absolutely, if it's small mom and pop stores, or you can get to the owner, that's the best way to do it.

Do your homework first. Search this forum for tips and tricks to selling to stores.

The most important part on your end is coming up with a wholesale price. Stores don't like having to sell your shirts for more than what the customer can get by buying from your website. And they work on at least a 100% markup. Which means on a $26 retail shirt, they will want to buy it from you for $13 or less. So be prepared to see numbers like that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with the others. If you want to sell to stores, there is no rule about a waiting period prior to doing so.

Here's a tip though: when a store owner says no ("when" not "if" because more will not buy than will buy, don't let this get to you) don't let it end there. Even if the owner doesn't want your product, he/she will usually feel bad about saying no (like we all do)... use this to your advantage - this is the time to ask for their help.

Tell them you would like to improve your products and ask for his/her advise in what you could do to make the product more appealing to other businesses like theirs. Is it pricing, design, quality, etc? More often than not they will help you out here to alleviate their guilt at turning you way empty handed. You turn a failure into a success. Even though you didn't make the sale, you did get valuable information and maybe a future customer. When you improve the things the business owner asked for - bring him/her a sample to look at, not to sell to them, but to ask for their opinion "is this something that's closer to the ideas we spoke about last time? Is there anything else that needs to be improved? etc

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very good advice,no is not the end of the world,just keep knocking on doors untill you get your first sale. then don't stop knocking,you next sale muight just be the next door you knock on
:):D

·
Registered
36 Posts
If possible, you may want to even look into a consignment option. Leave them a few in each size and or color to see if they sell. Sign an agreement with them that they will also be responsible for stolen and damaged items left in the store. I have done this in a few store and it has worked out great and to my advantage.
Good luck.

·
Administrator
14,017 Posts
On a side note, I'd be careful about that Starbucks logo. I don't think their attorneys would allow that to continue if they ever caught wind of it.
And while we are on the subject....what happens when the stores selling this particular shirt of yours gets hit with a lawsuit for selling it? Who's going to foot the bill?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Catie: Good idea on consignment. I do that and so far so good. The store will be more willing to sell something that they don't have to put money into and if they sell, then you can get your money up front. It's a great way to start out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i see spoof shirts all the time in stores. mostly the marijuana one using the mcdonalds logo. should be fine. if the owner has something against it, i just wont sell him that particular shirt.

·
Registered
195 Posts
just curious...could i possible just give the shirts away then?
Pretty sure SB can still sue you, make you stop giving them away, give them all the shirts that you have already made and/or try to get monetary damages from you even if no money is exchanged.

Your are not just making money from their creative work you are making fun of them or at least I think thats what your shirt is saying. :confused:

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer I don't even play one on TV.:)

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Yes, you could just give them away. But Chartle is correct, you could still be sued. Any unauthorized reproduction is considered infringement, regardless of your intentions. And the fact that it depicts Starbucks in a way they would hardly approve is just fueling the fire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What it comes down to is that even if what you are doing is technically legal, these companies have lots of money to spend on legal fights and they can tie you up in so much crazy litigation (valid or not) that you will have no choice but to get a lawyer to help you sort it out. So you end up spending all kinds of time and money trying to fight them whether or not you are really right.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Tim...go on and use a national logo...it will give your local attorney some work...I don't care how many spoofs you see or how many others do copies...the copyright/trademark owners are under NO obligation to send a Cease and Desist Letter...some do...but a lot might just file suit...then you have to get an attorney to answer or they win by default...it is like playing with fire in room full of open gas cans!

do yourself a favor...don't take our advice...check with an IP attorney...a few bucks spent there will save thousands later

1 - 20 of 28 Posts