T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not ideal, but the power I'm working with is pretty limited. It's not possible to run my flash and conveyor at the same time. For my last run, I let the shirts go under the flash enough to dry the ink, stacked them, then ran them through the dryer the next day. Will I run into any problems doing this? I'm printing with plastisol.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
You'll be fine. I did a run of shirts a few years ago with opaque ink and I thought they were done, but when I did a stretch test the next day parts of the image cracked as though they weren't fully cured. I ran them through the dryer again and cured them properly and the cracking issue was resolved.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
It would be ideal to run the same day for best reliability and durability. The longer they sit with plastisol on the garment, the more or the plasticizers can soak into the cotton. The more that separates out the more likely a failure or durability loss.

In Neil’s case It’s likely that both side were cured but the center was uncured. It this were the case the could have sat there a month and still be cured without issue, kinda like plastisol transfers where says a 1 year shelf life but I’ve made some 3 years ago stored in bags and still good. With transfers though you don’t have to worry about anything soaking into the garment although I have seen the plastizer separate out of ink. I threw those away and started storing in the ziplocks.

Reactions: Ripcord

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The longer they sit with plastisol on the garment, the more or the plasticizers can soak into the cotton.
This is a good point. They must be cured by the flash first to prevent this. The dryer step is just to be 100% certain that the full ink layer has achieved the cure temperature and remained at that temperature for a period of time.

For cotton shirts I cure at a temperature quite a bit higher than the cure temp of the ink. You won't scorch a cotton shirt unless it gets really hot or gets stuck in the chamber and I'd rather be sure of a full cure than risk a customer complaint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.