T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to embark into the T-Shirt business starting off within Canada. As I'm currently researching the whole process I'm interested in learning how the Canadian members are doing? Has it been promising since you started? Are you selling mostly online or at stores as well?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The real point is how you will do. Knowing how others are doing will not actually benefit you. Canadians or American are all in the same boat. it is how you run your business. What is your plan. You are going to be responsible for your own success or failure. Specific questions that may guide you to that point may be more in line. There are different degrees of success. if I was to tell you wow I had a great week. Well maybe I only sold 24 shirts and for me that was great.. Or I could say I sold a 1000 shirts which maybe I do every week. And to me that is a slow week. (This is only an example) You see what I mean. Other then that we all wish you great success. lou

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The real point is how you will do. Knowing how others are doing will not actually benefit you. Canadians or American are all in the same boat. it is how you run your business. What is your plan. You are going to be responsible for your own success or failure. Specific questions that may guide you to that point may be more in line. There are different degrees of success. if I was to tell you wow I had a great week. Well maybe I only sold 24 shirts and for me that was great.. Or I could say I sold a 1000 shirts which maybe I do every week. And to me that is a slow week. (This is only an example) You see what I mean. Other then that we all wish you great success. lou
Great response!
To the original poster: It really is dependent on where you want to go and how you want to get there. Some people get by with just designing ideas for shirts, some enjoy the production aspect, some enjoy it all. Each one of those paths leads you to different crossroads as to whom your customer will be and whom you will have to do business with to complement your abilities.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There's also a flip side to this question, perhaps you mean, is it worth your time to pursue an apparel line? I'd say yes, however, as discretionary spending, on a macro level, has decreased significantly, at least among Americans, all industries have been affected, including clothing companies. Just read the WSJ or The Economist and you'll hear about various Chapter 7 & 11 Bankruptcy proceedings of various apparel companies. Additionally, on a macro level, the good ol' greenback has dropped in value, although this is not necessarily the case of the Loonie, it does cost American companies more for their goods. Perhaps purchasing American made goods for you could be a possible way, in the interim, to reduce your costs, although they might be offset with shipping.

I still believe the apparel business to be a good venture, although we have definitely stepped up our marketing and are getting more involved in special/local events and are pushing for more effective, or I should say cost effective, brand management.

In the end, same business rules apply, expect not to make a 'profit' for approximately 2 to 3 years. Now is a good time to purchase used equipment, or new equipment, as companies are looking to shore up cash. Create a good base during this time and you will be sufficiently prepared for the growth which will come...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts