T-Shirt Forums banner

How is this done?

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  howierocket 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the link I used was a bad example, what I really want to know is how to print without having the ink look so prominant on the fabric, so it has that soft washed out look or rather is as soft as the fabric. With that said, where can you have this kind of printing done? Will most screen printers be able to achieve this, or is this done after the shirt has been printed using some kind of washing technique?
Thanks

#7 ·
jdr8271 said:
Im not familiar with the bleaching agent that solmu is referring to.
I know of a couple of small independent stores that screenprint with bleach, which should give you a result like the revolve clothing link. I've never heard of it being done more commercially (i.e. large scale), but I dare say it is (on the principle that pretty much any technique you care to come up with will be in use by some company). Though it's not something you could walk into just any printer for.

That said, most of the stuff I've seen has been done using stencils since bleach is not exactly emulsion friendly, so I'm not sure if you could get anything that detailed. I said bleaching agent rather than bleach because I wouldn't be surprised if you could get some kind of fibre reactive bleach that interacted with the pigment in the shirt without ruining the emulsion in the screen, but I have no idea if such a thing actually exists or not.

#10 ·
Fizz is right this is done by using discharge inks. They are an agent that removes color but does not damage the clothing. Once screened a heat source needs to be hovered over the screened image till the image is the color you want it. It will not beach all the way through if you put a light coat on as well. I have many shirts made like this. It is basically doing the oposite of what a dye would do. And it looks great. But it is a lot of work.

#12 ·
There have been many types of bleaching agents over the years. Thiox is one of the newer and very safe versions. The older versions were really hard to handle, toxic and some damaged the fibres. Thiox will not damage natural fibres like bleach will. What it does is when you screen this stuff (that is the consistancy of an ink) it waits for heat to have the "bleach" activate and remove the color from the fabric, the different amounts of time the shirt is exposed to heat is how bleached out it gets. You would use this instead of a dye or an ink because it is a unique look, does not add anything onto the fabric like an ink would and unlike dyes which for the most part cant print on super dark fabrics, this can. (but its actually removing color) There are also inks that contain this stuff that you lay down with the ink. For instance you have a black shirt and want to print an orange design, well most screening for that means you have to lay down white and then orange to get it bright enough. That adds 2 layers of ink and it can get thick. This stuff discharges the black and then inks it orange, leaving the shirt soft.

I hope that makes sense....its late :)

#14 ·
There is actualy something put on the shirt when screenprinted with ink...this allows you to actually just take color away from a dark shirt leaving the image. It works really well and 1) looks badass. 2) allows for a softer shirt and 3) Allows for single colors like orange to be printed on a black shirt without need for a white layer.

#20 ·
Online printers for the most part cant do this. It is a very lengthy process and there really are only about 5 people in the country who can do this stuff in mass production. I haven't been able to find them.

This stuff is really good for small runs and home screening.

This is not bleach. It is Thiox. The stuff is brilliant and it will turn the clothing from its original color to white depending on how long it is heated for. The heat press part of it is why it takes so long and takes a masters touch to get each garment right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.