T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question about blocking out registration marks once you go to press. This is a "mild" annoyance but does slow down my print time and actually has brought it to a halt a couple times. I've worked mostly with water based inks thus far if this matters but... I block out my reg marks on the under side (t shirt side) of the screen with tape. I've used the 3 inch solvent resistant tape as well as duct tape... both with mixed results. A few times when i'm 20 shirts in or so the tape literally falls off. I clear the ink on a scrap shirt to re apply but often the tape won't even stick at this point. I feel like the tape on the ink side would be a bad idea especially for long runs. When this happens with water based ink... the time is ticking and if i try to wipe or clean the area it just makes it worse. Curious if there are any tips for blocking reg marks for a long run where they'll stay put the whole time. Any feedback would be great, thanks! :)

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm surprised that if brown packing tape and even masking tape has worked... why doesn't the regular white 3 inch tape work? I will certainly try both of those tapes. It's worth the extra expense of tape to save the headaches lol. I'm guessing the thinner water based inks maybe flow under the tape after so many passes but not sure. Thanks for the feedback! :)

· Registered
244 Posts
Emulsion then expose, we use a reg system so once the screen is burned no need for reg marked on press. Lately we have been using CCI aqua block. It's a liquid that you apply with a card or plastic knife that when dries is water proof but comes right out in reclaim.

· Registered
7,155 Posts
I've done that two a few times. Take a business card and a little emulsion and swipe over the reg marks. Careful not to get any on the original image.

Looks like you're in NJ. I'm in NJ by the shore. Planning on teaming up with another Screen Printer in Trenton for a few projects. We're also planning on giving a class to a few Advertisers that requested it. Maybe you can swing by.

· Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm surprised that if brown packing tape and even masking tape has worked... why doesn't the regular white 3 inch tape work? I will certainly try both of those tapes. It's worth the extra expense of tape to save the headaches lol. I'm guessing the thinner water based inks maybe flow under the tape after so many passes but not sure. Thanks for the feedback! :)
Hey, i think your problem is with your under exposed emulsion. I experienced it with that wbp... Did u have a try to do the post harden and the tape still doesnt stick? I use regular scotch from dollar store

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did finish that job after "post hardening", (worked great :D), the white smooth solvent resistant tape held up fine, but I only had to do 10 shirts lol. Doing a job today but it's one color so no need for reg. I'm going to try any and all suggestions here... I have blue masking tape, scotch tape, and i'm gonna buy some brown packing tape. also that emulsion trick is great especially if it's a really long run. I will return with updates lol. Thanks everyone! :)

· Registered
3,506 Posts
masking tape.

are you wiping the tshirt side of the screen down with something before applying the tape?

i wouldn't use some type of block out that can't be removed easily (emulsion) especially if you are going to store the screen for use again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.