T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone set their pricing... do you have only one set pricing and everyone gets the same price.. ex.. $14.95 for each shirt.. no matter who .. no matter what... Or.. Do you have a price for 1 shirt and someone getting 12+ shirts has a different price...

I'm not completely dumb.. (i think lol) - I realize you must take into account the cost of the materials used.. ex.. shirt, transfer/vinyl, labor etc.. But.. I guess what I'm asking.. Is How much do you generally charge for different senarios.. Do you have some sort of pricing list you go by for Regular Shirt, Shirts with Pockets, Long sleeves, Sweats, Etc.. Or do you really determine and decide by customer?? I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of structured pricing list already done, so that I can see what I should be along the lines of.. I mean.. I think I saw someone sells custom shirts for as low as 4$ each.. ... Others have stated - $14.99 - 19.99 etc...

We have customers who want just 1-5 shirts and we have customers that need 50 - We havent really been marketing ourselves too much since the begining - more of word of mouth - but would like to be able to advertise - and bring in more business but just not sure what we should be charging for different types of customers or if all should be treated the same weither its 5 shirts or 500.. =) We dont want to loose customers because of high prices, however we dont want to short ourselves - as I'm sure everyone feels the same way.

Thank you for any input - You can reply here or email [email protected] if you have your list in excel etc - that you want to share with us.

Ambrelee
Taylor Tees:eek:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Re: Pricing

A couple things to think about when you are setting your prices.

What does it really cost to make the shirt.
Don't forget all the overhead expenses. Look at your stack of bills for a list.

What is the perceived value of the shirt.
What are the customers willing to pay? Some people are just cheap, don't listen to them. Would they pay $14.95?, $19.95, $24.95? Is there something special about the shirt that will make it worth more?

Keep it simple, the customer won't buy what they can't understand.
If you price every single shirt with a unique price, the customer's brain will shut down and they won't be able to make a decision. Group your shirts into prices that make sense. (2XL add $2, 3XL add $3)

I'll post more details later, I've got to run.:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you John!! I will take all of this into account and try to come up with something =)

Another question brewing.. is artwork... If say.. a bank wants 25 shirts.. I can see charging an Art replication fee of say.. $25 - since they do not have it on a disk to just hand me.. but.. If its someone who just wants 1 shirt custom made for themselves.. to me.. charging the $25 plus 14.95 for the shirt.. will people really pay that?? If its just someones picture printed on the transfer and then pressed on the shirt.. thats easy.. so I can see not charing the $25 - but it being part of the "cost" to make the shirt.. but if someone actually has nothing just says.. this is what I want.. do it.. lol What is really going to happen in that situation.. some people I can see saying sure whatever it takes - I just want the shirt in my hands.. other people I can see going What?!? I can go look somewhere else etc.. I know you can't please everyone all the time - I just want to be fair to the company and our customers =)

Ambrelee
Taylor Tees

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Should you charge for artwork? YES!

With screen printing customers I give them a choice. You bring in 'camera ready art' and no extra charge to the package.

If you want me to create simple lettering, I will do it for $25. If there is a logo or graphics, I charge $40 an hour. (We sell them one hour to get them started, then call them when I get a chance to determine how many hours will be needed for the design).

Some people are to cheap to spend the $25 and they bring me trash they created with a Microsoft word 'special effect'.

Others are happy to pay someone else to do the work, they just want the shirts. They end up with nice shirts. (IMHO) I often send them two or three choices in a pdf to choose from.

You can roll basic art into the price of the shirt, but it works well to let the customer choose what works best for them.

Do not be afraid to charge the customer for added value.

On one up custom shirts, use the setup fee as an upgrade tool. "Buy five (or 10) shirts and get the setup free". I sell a photo transfer on my T for $19.99, that includes up to five words on or around the photo, (not to exceed 8.5"x11") Get 2 or more of the same photo for $17.99 each.
In my market, people light up when they hear how low the price is. Perceived value is higher $20. I guess the price will go up to $24.95 next year.:)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts

John S said:
What does it really cost to make the shirt.
Don't forget all the overhead expenses. Look at your stack of bills for a list.
Aye, never forget that a shirt costs more than just the shirt + transfer; there is also time pressing/printing, electricity, time spent ordering supplies, rent, possibly insurance, and more.

John S said:
What is the perceived value of the shirt.
What are the customers willing to pay? Some people are just cheap, don't listen to them. Would they pay $14.95?, $19.95, $24.95? Is there something special about the shirt that will make it worth more?
It's amazing how much the percieved value of a nicely decorated or original shirt can vary too. We recently did a little survey, and the results varied from a "would pay" value of about $4 all the way up to about $25. Standard rates for good original shirt designs is usually around $16-18; you may or may not want to try and charge extra for purely custom one-offs. This also may vary depending on if you're doing vinyl or heat transfer, etc.

If I remember to I'll post a little more specific details of the survey after we're done tallying it. (I'll probably forget to though, honestly...)

John S said:
Should you charge for artwork? YES!

If you want me to create simple lettering, I will do it for $25. If there is a logo or graphics, I charge $40 an hour. (We sell them one hour to get them started, then call them when I get a chance to determine how many hours will be needed for the design).
We're focusing more on our own original designs, but have some some custom stuff as well. We won't generally charge to make up some basic text or if it's just a few minor touchups to a decent image they submitted, but if we have to do art beyond that we will charge for it.

John S said:
I sell a photo transfer on my T for $19.99, that includes up to five words on or around the photo, (not to exceed 8.5"x11") Get 2 or more of the same photo for $17.99 each.
In my market, people light up when they hear how low the price is. Perceived value is higher $20. I guess the price will go up to $24.95 next year.
Nice! Haven't been able to throughly test the waters yet in this area, but it seems like people are expecting something cheaper in these parts ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts

Good chart Josh, Thanks.

The question I now have pending on the heatpress forum should have been posted here I suppose.
I typically sell to individuals. My question is very much the same as Taylortees' question. What about quantity? Where are your price points?
What's a decent price to a school club for 26 athletic grey sweatshirts with vinyl heatpress on front and back? Price per shirt individually, vs price per shirt selling 26 to one customer, vs. price per same shirt selling 150 to one customer? How do you decide how much to discount as the quantities get larger?

Pam

·
Registered
94 Posts

jacsma said:
Good chart Josh, Thanks.

The question I now have pending on the heatpress forum should have been posted here I suppose.
I typically sell to individuals. My question is very much the same as Taylortees' question. What about quantity? Where are your price points?
What's a decent price to a school club for 26 athletic grey sweatshirts with vinyl heatpress on front and back? Price per shirt individually, vs price per shirt selling 26 to one customer, vs. price per same shirt selling 150 to one customer? How do you decide how much to discount as the quantities get larger?

Pam
I order alot of material from imprintables warehouse and I was told my cost for spectra cut II is .008 per sq inch and for spectra megatallic it is .016 per sq inch so that is for 1 color designs. I typically charge using standard screenprint sizes like 12 x 12 ($7.50 for sizes s-xl, for 2x I add $2, 3x I add 3x and so forth) and 15 x 15 ($10.00 following the same size pricing as the 12x12 size) for each additional color I also add the cost of material for additional color plus 1.00. This works really well for small qty jobs like 5 to 10 pieces. Anything over 10 pieces and I usually screenprint to do the job. Let me know if you would like me to create a pricing chart you can use.

·
Registered
114 Posts

so using my current order as an example. 26 sweatshirts with a one color school logo/mascot on the front of each, and a student's name on the back of each.

The most economical/practical way of doing these would be to order plastisols for the front design, and do the back names in vinyl?

·
Registered
94 Posts

jacsma said:
so using my current order as an example. 26 sweatshirts with a one color school logo/mascot on the front of each, and a student's name on the back of each.

The most economical/practical way of doing these would be to order plastisols for the front design, and do the back names in vinyl?
How big is the front design for the tshirt? If standard screen print size then I would recommend screenprint front and vinyl cut the names on the back.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

jacsma said:

I would sell 1 color screen printing for about $4 for the front. It would cost me about $2. I don't have to do anything but drop off/ pick up the order at my contractor.
You should compare contract screen price vs. plastisol + your time.

If you figure in your time/materials, I don't think you could do it yourself for much less than $4.

It is always good to try a different approach on one job to get a feel for how long, how much it will cost. I don't want to weed a stack of vinyl when I can get someone else to do it all for less money, it frees me up to do more important things like selling the next job. :)

The students names are perfect for cut vinyl.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Has anyone done a pricing grid like Josh's but for Screen printing.

I am trying to come up with a price list but it would be easier to just drop in the different variables as they aren't always the same.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

That kind of pricing?
I've seen cheaper. I've seen more expensive. Maybe they're buying all their consumables and blanks at better prices than you've seen, so they can maintain the same margin at better prices.

·
Registered
109 Posts

So why would someone buy transfers? Why not just have a company like that make your shirts. Thats cheaper than I can get platisols and a shirt for, at least 2-3 colors. Or are those sublimated?

1 - 20 of 162 Posts