T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are just starting out I imagine many would be skeptical of sending money so how do you overcome that?

Also how do you to collect money, say no to checks? What about paypal and credit card transactions??

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I don't think customers are sketpical of sending money online as long as you:

1) Have a web design that looks clean and professional
2) Have your contact information in easy to find places on the site
3) Use SSL Security when collection senstive information
4) Have a well stated privacy policy on your site.

As far as collecting money, you can get a PayPal account, a regular merchant account (so you can accept visa/mc/amex/etc). You can also accept checks if you like

I'm not clear about your question "What about paypal and credit cards" though. What about them? :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
i agree with rodney on that one, a clean proffesional looking website will alleviate most of your customers concerns. as far as not accepting checks, more and more companies are refusing to accept personal checks (if they bounce, you not only lose the sale, but your bank will charge you a hefty fee) so i think the buying public will overlook that if they really want your product. however, i think that some of these mechant account providers now offer a "real time" funds verifaction process, which will tell you on the spot if the customers bank account has sufficient funds for the check. so you may want to look into that also. finally dont forget to accept good old fashioned money orders! they are just as good as cash, without the risks of bouncing!good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only issue I have had is when selling at events or flea markets. If I don't have what they want on hand a few people have been hesitant to pay me for something that will be sent later. What I do is then offer to ship them the shirt (free) and they can then send me the money. Worst case I am out a few bucks. Best case, I get a very happy customer who is more likely to tell others about me. I haven't had any problems with this method yet.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I'm not sure I would ever to the COD (ship first, get the money later) method.

If I was going to sell at flea markets, I would just offer what I have and leave them with a way to purchase later (by going to the website or a mail order form).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have done this only when I felt comfortable with the person. It's not something I advertise but am willing to do if needed. I have found that most people don't follow up when they say "I'll get one later". This way I have another t-shirt in circulation, which is my main priority right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a related question about online payment method/processing. I've dealt with paypal for quite some time so I am familiar with it, but the merchant account side of things I am rather clueless, how do I get one? I could google that pretty quick but thought I'd ask.

My main question is about the processing. When you take CC information online is the main method to store that data and have someone process the CCs manually, or is there a way to dynamically send that information as the orders come in, directly to whoever does your CC processing and have them do it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts