T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have joined as I was wanting to do a bit of research for a little project i'm thinking of doing, and was wanting some feedback.

I've recently written a programming script that calculates a quotation for printed t shirts via criteria selected by visitors on my website. So far, the client can enter the type of garment, the weight of the garment, the colour of the garment, the quantity of child, adult and XXXL sizes required, along with the amount of print colours required on the front, back and both sleeves. They can even select whether the order will need to be delivered, or picked up by themselves.

The system then calculates the quotation instantly, then emails them a full, personalised quotation, and then also emails the customers details with all the prices, broken down into all the elements to myself, such as garment costs, print costs, screen charges, carriage costs etc.

As I am developing my programming skills I was toying with the idea of building a 'more complete' quoting system as a kind of hobby, whereby a printer can enter his unit costs, print charges, and other criteria into an admin panel, from which he will be able to produce instant quotes for any type of tshirt printing jobs, no matter how complex. This can also be built into a website so that website visitors can get instant quotes.

SO.. what I was wanting to know is, is there a need for such a system?

How many of the tshirt printers on here work out quotes manually? and how many use estimating software?

Also, if there is a need, what sort of criteria would need to be added to the script that isn't mentioned above.

I am not spamming for business as this is going to be a project for me to develop my programming abilities. I am just wanting some feedback on how useful such a tool would be in your day to day business.

Any comments welcome!

Thanks

Andy :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't see a need for software, we set our prices before we offer it to the customer whether it's 1-12 or 1-24 depending on the process. All this is figured out in advanced so when the customer comes to us they already know what the quote is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate you saying you set your prices out before hand. The point is, for busy printers who may do several quotes per day, would it not be useful to have software whereby you just punch in the customers requirements, whether they want printing on the front, back and both sleeves.. and it automatically works out all the prices instantly. It could calculate different garments as well as various types of printing, ie - plot, screen, transfer, even on the same garment, as well as take into consideration, special pricing criteria, such as if you print on the sleeves, and it uses the same print colours as on the front or back, you may offer free screens as you may include them on the screen for the front or back.

Would a tool such as this not potentially save you time, a well as add funtions such as emailing the quote to the customer all within the same process?

Either way, it doesn't matter. I'm just putting my feelers out to see whether this would be worth my time doing if anybody was going to use it.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I think you are putting too much info in the hands of your customer and if you get locked into it you are asking for trouble. I think you need to know the cost of the job and then give a quote to the job. every job is not the same. It may look the same in some aspects but they are not.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I thnk it might be a valuable tool for the printer and the customer. However, I think there are similar products out there already so not sure how your program would be any different.

If the customer is able to go on your website and select various criteria and get an instant quote...I think that would be helpful. As long as it takes into consideration everything that matters to each printer. It would be up to the printer to verify the results of the software.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, each printer would set his own criteria, options, price breaks, screen costs, carriage costs, as well as many other options that would affect how a job is priced.

The module could then also be plugged into the printers website if he has one, that would enable clients to get instant quotes. The quotes would be sent via email and not directly on screen, as this enables you to get an actual lead with contact details if you wanted to follow up. This works very well for me.

The prices generated for customers, is exactly the same as if you had sat down and worked out all the costs manually, as the program uses your exact pricing structure and price breaks etc.

Andy

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
It does not plug into your website, and I am unsure of its cost. My next little thing would be is that I am not sure having all that info is needed on the website. When you go to McDonald's, you get a final price for what you ordered and not how they come up with that price. Good luck.....JB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've missed the point slightly. Their quote would not include the price breakdown, only the full description of the quotation along with the total price. The full breakdown would go to the printer.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, If they won't see the breakdown, why not just post the pricing?....JB
The system would email the quote to them rather than display it on the screen so that the printer would get a lead out of it. This way you could follow up the enquiry.

I'll probably leave this idea and just work on my own one for my new site. Just thought other people could benefit from it as this type of system has increased sales for me.

No probs, thanks for your replies and comments anyway.

Thanks

Andy :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In which case you could just apply a 'discount' field where you could enter a percentage. The discount could then be given on the overall total. For loyal custers who may use the tool on the website, they could be given a discount code allocated to them.

Absolutely anything can be taken into consideration and resolved within a program.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts