T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...Does anyone know how do you get t-shirts in the hand of celebs, I have heard that through their PR people, but how do you obtain that information? When sending samples, is it best to send a few samples or is 1 enough? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Wardrobe mistresses. One of the best ways is to make contact with important wardrobe mistresses working on shows in your demographic. It's a lot easier for that guy off the OC to wear your shirt on the show than to pray for a paparazzi shot with him in it.

On talk shows etc, the vast majority of people are dressed by wardrobe, not in their own clothes (although many would take the clothes afterwards)

·
2,957 Posts
ML is right. There is a member here who hasn't posted in a while that got the character, Johnny Drama, on Entourage to where his shirt.

He told me that he has a friend that knows the wardrobe person for Entourage, and they sent them some stuff at HBO. The next thing he knows, people are calling him and saying Drama had his shirt on. Pretty cool.

I think I saw one of his shirts on a celeb at the MTV Movie Awards this past weekend, also.

·
2,957 Posts
RAHchills said:
Thanks for the info. So is it all in who you know? Or can somebody break into a "wardrobe circle" with the right shirt?

Yeah, I think so. If you can find out who the wardrobe people are, I would send them some letters and some shirts. I tried finding some info on wardrobe people, but couldn't find a thing.

RAHchills said:
As a side note, I'm really happy that the new season of Enterouge started yesterday. :)
Me too! Really good first episode. I just wish it was an hour! I love that show!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's what I did! My brother writes for Teen People & a couple other mags & I gave him some of my designs to put into wardrobe. I created a hangtag with the name of my line & contact info & attached to each shirt in case the do a showcase on new & upcoming designs. I have yet to see one of my shirts donned by any superstars yet, but It's only a matter of time, hopefully...
My collection of Teen People Magazine is growing!!!

Another great way to get some shine on your shirts is to send them in to Radio DJ's This works for many Urban Designers! Send them in to the morning show 6-10am DJ's or show producers, another good time slot is the afternoon shows 2-6pm!

If you do it this way, you just need to be persistent until you get that plug!

Good Luck to all:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
not really a celebrity (but pretty much my muse...), i made 2 one off-shirts for sage francis. then i delivered them when he played in chicago. much fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work in the movie business here in Los Angeles. I started doing shirts as a little side art hobby a few months back. I have a few celeberty friends I've given stuff to that actually wear it. You can go to a publicist or PR person but I know a bunch of them and they aren't always that eager to make sure their clients actually get the items, especally if there is no incentive for them (ie money).

-T

·
Registered
19 Posts
Narc72
Thats a good idea about the radio shows..never thought of that...I never really thought of any of this until I read this thread...very informative..
Question for you though..if I were to send "samples" to the radio hosts would I just send 3 or so with business cards? Or just 1 with a card as an example...or call to see if they want them and get sizes.....
I would probably pass out if I saw anyone in one of my shirts...celeb or not! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
One suggestion for celebs having dealt with a famous couple and their favorite non profit. Find out what the celebs favorite "cause" is and try to approach them through that venue: a fundraisier, an appearance etc. Or even contact the nonprofit and offer to give a generous percentage of the profits for a specific night to the nonprofit. Make it a night when the celeb is at the nonprofit site or doing a fundraiser.

Anything can happen, but it took me a solid year of doing this, that and the other to get a very high profile celeb on board with the nonprofit I worked for. She's still with them and has generated millions of dollars for the nonprofit. So my point is that 1) it can take awhile and concerted effort (which is okay) and 2) if the celeb is really into the cause it can be a great way to delicately make contact with them.

Alicia

·
Registered
71 Posts
I contact Tyra banks since my shirt was inspired by her and I am waiting to hear from the producer from her show again...

I have known two people now who got their start on that show...

I have a friend that works at E and a sister that does security for concerts all over Pheonix hopefully something will break....

Just keep plugging...it will happen...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Other than talk shows or radio spots where the DJ gives out your website information, why would it be so cool to have your shirt on a celeb when nobody not even the celeb knows how he or she got it! do you honestly think the celeb is going to remember you or your company? or say HEY! go to this site and buy a shirt? I really doubt it.

I have friends that work in night clubs in hollywood where allot of celebs show up and they are always telling me they can get my shirts to them. again, I don't see the benifit.

Also, have you seen MTV cribs? these celebs get so much crap that allot of the stuff gets thrown on their spare room floor.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts