T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Oh, the thought of returns . . . fun, fun. Tell me, if you're a website only "shop", what is your return policy and how do you deal w/ returns?

Thanks in advance. And, Rodney, you're always so full of good info: double thanks in advance to you!!

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
I allow unworn returns for just about any reason up to 30 days (wrong size, shirt wasn't what they expected, etc).

In 10 years I can count my returns on two hands. Whatever your policy, make sure it's cleary posted on your site :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is a tough one, but id generally say the same thing, 30 day return for almost any reason.

I am pretty much going to apply this to my shop when its up and running online in a few months time.

Ive often read that one of the major concerns a customer has about a store is the credibility of that store and how trustworthy they are.

Yes, no doubt im sure there are some unforchunate cases where you have one bad egg who will proove to be a challanging customer, but for the most part I think having a good returns policy can help sales.

But mind you, you also have to be fair to yourself and your business, so again yes, you have say... 30 days to return it, providing it wasn't worn, ripped or something that cannot be accounted for by damage in transit or your own error on your end and not the customers end.

And who knows, if they buy once and are happy, that return customer who ends up buying again and again could become an advocate of your store when talking to others.

The best thing I find about tshirts, or so I beleive, will be that a tshirt at some point, worn by someone, is brought up in discussion and if THAT person who hears where they got the shirt from looks up your site and see's a reasonably fair return policy, you may just get another sales [or at least in a perfect world]

;)

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
a tshirt at some point, worn by someone, is brought up in discussion and if THAT person who hears where they got the shirt from looks up your site
This happens more times than I can count (based on customer responses of how they found my site).

Depending on the t-shirt I'm wearing, I also seem to get a lot of comments like "where did you get that t-shirt" (although most people offline get glazed over eyes when I say "threadless" or "t26.com" :)) I'm actually a bit surprised by this phenomenon, since I wouldn't consider myself an overly "approachable" person in "real life" :) T-Shirts can definitely be interesting conversation starters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At this time, we are selling our t-shirts out of our booth at a local craft consignment store and at art fairs, so we don't have to deal with returns. We are looking to set up a website to sell them and will probably apply a 30 day return policy with a "restocking fee" to cover shipping cost.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a question. Is there a way to protect yourself from a retailer who may order say 1000 shirts and then upon receiving "within 30 days", wants to return say 1/3 of the order because they are for "whatever reason" not satisfied with the order or even a worst case scenario wants to return the "entire order". I ask because some of the members have a "no question" return policy. Shipping can be pretty expensive on a large order like that.

Has anyone here ever had a problem like that and is there is a way to prevent returns like that if the product is completely fine, but the customer may have over ordered or your product is not selling to the retailer's satisfaction. Curious as to how everyone would react.

If the product is damaged, of course the customer has a legit reason for return, but what if it's "just not what they expected". I would think it would be unfair to have 1000 shirts returned to you and you're stuck with the whole order and shipping costs.

Where does one draw the line on returns?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it would be very unfortunate for a customer to return 1/3 of 1000 tees. On orders of this quantity you would cover all bases before you even begin printing by getting artwork & pantones signed off & taking a deposit up front

·
Registered
74 Posts
I guess one way of protecting yourself would be to state that "all sales are final with a satisfaction guaranteed policy" in addition to collecting a 50% deposit upfront. The retailer would know that once purchased they can only return or exchange for damaged items or wrong sizes. Is that realistic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd offer a 100% return policy. Although they would have to return the product and pay the cost of postage.
Good Morning.

I wanted to follow up on this subject.

If you allow returns do you:

-Charge a restocking fee?
-Pay for the return if it is your fault?
-Have the customer pay for the return and you provide free shipping on the exchange (if it was your fault)?

There are other scenarios but I think you know understand the gist of my inquiry.

Thanks in advance ofr your thoughts on this subject.

Mykl

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
If it's your fault, it's absolutely reprehensible it would cost the customer a dime. Your mistake = you make it right - there is no other option in business in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I will allow a return for any reason within 14 days. Two weeks in my book is more than enough time to decide if you want the shirt or not. I have on occasion excepted a return after the 14 period but that is up to my discretion.

I have this as a written policy on all orders and custom orders are not returnable. If the error was my mistake, I will correct it, but if you decide it is not something you want then you must pay the shipping to return the item and it must be in the same condition as when it left my shop.

DRM

Yes I have had this happen. I was given an order by the Asst. Mgr. for 1300 shirts, but the Manager only wanted 900. The 1300 shirts were printed, delivered, and they were charged for them. I received the signed approval from the Asst. Mgr. and I fulfilled my end of the contract. They wanted me to take back 400 of the shirts and refund the money but I refused. The Manager yelled, and huffed & puffed but it went no where. They never ordered from my store again but some customers you are better off without.

I always get half of the money up front and once the items were shipped, they paid the difference. The manager was okay with the price when he thought he was getting 900 shirts but for some reason when he realized he had too many shirts the price was an issue...go figure.

Katrina

1 - 17 of 17 Posts