T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen foil used to decorate a DTG printed T Shirt. How did they do it? I would like to know if the foil is the same foil you would use with screen printing. Where is a good place to buy foil? Is it durable? What kind of immage works best? Does it even matter? We have an Anajet Sprint with the dark option.

Thank you

·
Registered
192 Posts
nwnative,
Have you tried to contact AnaJet to get any help on this? Send your request to their Tech Support as they have an excellent Applications Manager that has done extensive work with foils and he can help you.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Give AnaJet a call or take a look on the AnaJet forum for the way to do this, i know its an AnaJet exsclusive application.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To apply foil on Anajet printed shirts, you would need to pretreat your shirt, then print using white ink only and once that is completed you would place the foil on top of the image and heat press for about 30 seconds at 350 degrees farenheit. Once heated let it sit and cool for a minute and gently remove foil sheet.

I have seen foil used to decorate a DTG printed T Shirt. How did they do it? I would like to know if the foil is the same foil you would use with screen printing. Where is a good place to buy foil? Is it durable? What kind of immage works best? Does it even matter? We have an Anajet Sprint with the dark option.

Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have done this and here are a couple of the things that I have found.

1. It worked best when I used the white ink. BUT, you will want to lay down a layer of CMYK that is the color of the foil that you are putting down. The foil does not cover completely and with that layer of colored ink you will not see the wholes as much.

2. I did do it without the white ink being layed down, but ran the CMYK through 3 times to make sure that the ink was really wet in order to put the foil down and have it stick better. Without doing that, it gave it more of a glittered look, which was also really cool.

3. When I washed one of the shirts that I tried, the foil came off a bit. I will be trying it more this week and washing a few on different settings to see what will be the best in order for it to not wash off.

I got my foil from www.silkscreeningsupplies.com. Love those guys and gals.

The guys at Anajet can help answer more questions, but if you have any for me, just let me know.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Thanks! The print was done with red and gold foil and the rest of the image is regular ink in the print. Takes 2 prints to do but the profit margin goes through the roof!

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Do you have any concerns with printing multiple passes of dtg inks that require separate curing proccess? I would be careful that you don't overcure the dtg inks and decrease the washability of either the ink or the foil (since the foil does not have its own adhesive.

I could see this work if you could raise the area of where the foil is going and not let the rest of the area with ink touch the heating platen, but that will not work for all the designs. I have seen foil done in a cheaper way using an inkjet transfer paper and a vinyl cutter. The transfer paper cures faster and probably has a better chance of not overcuring the inks. This process also would be significantly cheaper compared to using dtg inks.

Anytime you do foil, you really need to a thorough wash test to make sure the foil will hold up. Just some observations and things to consider when trying this process.

Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have not been able to get the foil to stay on though washings. They are completely coming off if not the first wash, then the second.

They look great until that point. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
To apply foil on Anajet printed shirts, you would need to pretreat your shirt, then print using white ink only and once that is completed you would place the foil on top of the image and heat press for about 30 seconds at 350 degrees farenheit. Once heated let it sit and cool for a minute and gently remove foil sheet.
I don't recommend only using the white. If you are going to use a blue foil, I would lay blue on top of the white so that you don't see the ink ink underneath as much.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
The foild really needs a few definate proceedures. I have samples that wash great and the key is pretreat and low amount of white. The shirt needs pretreat first of all. Secondly you need white ink but a very small amount as underbase. A med 1 in a non content base mode so it is solid. You will want to make sure you do a nozzle check and that the med 1 white you print is solid with no baning. The next is using a color close to the same color as the foil, gold would be a yellow just turning orange. The color pass is where you need to put down a heavy pass, heavy 4. Use the standard heat press setting of 330 for 90. If you do not the ink is not going to cure properly and will not wash. This could be your issue. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will try that today. Thank you for the heads up.

The foild really needs a few definate proceedures. I have samples that wash great and the key is pretreat and low amount of white. The shirt needs pretreat first of all. Secondly you need white ink but a very small amount as underbase. A med 1 in a non content base mode so it is solid. You will want to make sure you do a nozzle check and that the med 1 white you print is solid with no baning. The next is using a color close to the same color as the foil, gold would be a yellow just turning orange. The color pass is where you need to put down a heavy pass, heavy 4. Use the standard heat press setting of 330 for 90. If you do not the ink is not going to cure properly and will not wash. This could be your issue. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know that this also heavily depends on which foil you are using. I personally tested foil printing at the Anajet booth at ISS Orlando (while enjoying a few free drinks at their booth bar too I might add) and it didn't work. I purchased a roll of heat press transfer foil from a vendor at the show and it peeled off unevenly. The parts that did cure, washed out almost immediately that night. I have 0 problems with the foil that Anajet now recommends so try calling them to see if you can get a recommended supplier. It only costs about $0.10 extra to turn a 1-color logo shirt into a foil print so I include a sample of it in almost every order that I do like that. Some of my foil prints go for $20-30 each depending on the size of the image. It's a great way to really increase your revenue, especially if someone is looking to order only 10 or so shirts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts