T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to turn a couple of people into 2d cartoons for a tshirt design. The two ways i have seen are:

1) add a guassian blur in illustrator to the photo - just makes it blurry and not effectivie
2) trace the outlines with a pen in illustrator - comes out exactly how i want it but its so dam hard to doI have not got the skill set to do it.

I guess is there a better way to do it, or should I look for an online pay service?

This link best shows the output I am looking for: [media]http://mirror.nbstatic.com/images/5103-199129-110x80.jpg[/media]

· Registered
534 Posts
Re: Turn photos into cartoons

as far as i know, there isn't a filter or tool in illustrator that's going to do this for you. you have to have the artistic skill to draw a caricature or cartoon to begin with.

you can, however, find many tutorials that will show you how to trace photos to give them a cartoonish look. like this:

Turn Yourself Into a Cartoon

it can be time consuming and you must know how to use the pen tool & brushes properly. there is no quick way about it that i know of.

if you can't do it yourself, then maybe hiring an artist to do it for you might be the best option.

best of luck.

· Registered
508 Posts

The image you posted is an illustration of a persons face with cartoon characteristics and proportions. You'll see the giant anime eyes and the dot nose. They dont look that way in the picture.

I have found that photoshop plugins/actions/filters dont really do that good a job of 'cartooning' someone.

Check out this tutorial that shows how to make custom brushes in illustrator to quickly gives a 'cartoon' look at feel. I have taken some of the tips and i can turn a sketch into a vector cartoon in 15-20 minutes.

Create A Cute Creature Character From A Sketch In Illustrator | Vectips

If you want to make images like the cartoon one you posted, you'll have to sketch it out in a cartoon style and trace it in illustrator OR find some 'build a bratz' or 'build a cartoon' page. These pages allows you to build a cartoon character similar to setting up your "mii" on a wii system. I.E. you pick the color of the eyes and it will place the cartoon/anime looking eyes in there for you.. the first result on google gave me this page...

Build Yourself Games - Play Free Build Yourself Bratz Cooking Games At BratzCookingGames.Net

If you're bad at drawing with a cartoon style.. build your person in one of these apps, take a screen shot and then trace it in illustrator (following that fun tutorial shared above)

good luck.

· Registered
12 Posts

I do this old school - print out the photo and trace it with a fine sharpee - next using the light table I work on the cartoon by exaggerating the features on a new drawing, taking care to close in spaces. Scan it and use live trace - now shade in the fills in photoshop. Cartooning is artform that is not done well without a human at the helm:)

· Registered
2,907 Posts

Google Photo to Cartoon, there are a lot of programs that will do it for you. Just like the one Freebird posted. Also can be done in photoshop. Check out youtube they have vids as well.

· Registered
3 Posts

Hi
This is the way I sort it.
Open pic in photoshop (Hi Res is better)
Duplicate layer - click colour dodge
Press Ctrl i to invert
Got to Filter/blur/gaussian blur with a setting of around 7
Layer/new adjustment layer - level around 234
Layer/new layer then save.

to turn into vectors for vinyl cutting/scaling:
Aquire Vector Magic from internet.
Load saved pic
Follow onscreen instructions & experiment. Can`t be positive on this as everyone has their own ideas. It is pretty straightforward after a few cock-ups..LOL
For brilliant vinyl two colour cartoon portrait cuts its perfect. Or just save the vector file in as many colours you want.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
I am trying to turn a couple of people into 2d cartoons for a tshirt design. The two ways i have seen are:

1) add a guassian blur in illustrator to the photo - just makes it blurry and not effectivie
2) trace the outlines with a pen in illustrator - comes out exactly how i want it but its so dam hard to doI have not got the skill set to do it.

I guess is there a better way to do it, or should I look for an online pay service?

This link best shows the output I am looking for: [media]http://mirror.nbstatic.com/images/5103-199129-110x80.jpg[/media]
In GIMP, there's a filter called, believe it or not, "cartoon." All you do is click on "cartoon repeat" until you get the desired image.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.