T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thus far, all of the designs i have done have been simple spot color.

what would i do in photoshop to make the peace sign part of the design lighter using only one screen. i am assuming through the use of dots, but i am not sure how to do that. can someone help?

Attachments

· Registered
2,986 Posts
In you pic, it's actually two colors, so two screens.
It looks like you would just be using spot colors, no halftones.
Just color sep for your two colors and you're good to go.
Even if you want to convert it to one color, you'd do best to use two screens and yeah, then you could convert to halftones.
I use AccuRip for my halftones.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Make the text 100% black and the peace sign a percentage black. Convert to grayscale then bitmap. Set your output resolution and halftone. Then set the line count, dot shape and angle. Then print it out.
For this image a relatively coarser mesh and lower line count can work very well and give you the effect you want. A 156 with 42 line or even 125 with 32.5 line

Just because it's a halftone you don't have to default to 305's with 55 line ;)

Attachments

· Registered
8,374 Posts
To add to Tygeron instructions if you need to do a print flash print. In your workspace setup when doing halftones on just 1 screen I set my dot gain to 20% but when mixing spot colors and halftone I set dot gain from 30%-40% when needing to print flash print a white ink this will help reduce the dots from getting too big on press.

Reactions: mikewozowski

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i tried to follow the tips here but i am not sure i understoop what all to do.

i set lines to 42, but i wasn't sure if i had to do something to set the 156 or 125 or if those were mesh sizes.

i did not see where to specify dot gain.

here is what i came up with.

does this look about right?

thank you for your help.

Attachments

· Registered
3,633 Posts
i set lines to 42, but i wasn't sure if i had to do something to set the 156 or 125 or if those were Mesh sizes.
The 156 was a mesh count suggestion. Now if you have your exposure times figured out, looks like you should be good to go.

Post a pic of the actual print.

· Registered
308 Posts
i thought so too. will give that a try. : )
I haven't really done much with halftoning yet....

I know the LPI and Angle and all that are important, thought I don't fully understand the importance of the angle yet -

BUT - If I'm not mistaken, I think the importance of a lot of that may be in multi color....
Not sure if it would matter with a single color

I printed a halftone 1 color with the halftone filter and it came out pretty good (This was before getting my exposure 100% correct, and if I did it again now, I think it would be great)

I'm sure someone with far more knowledge will chime in here, hopefully with a great explanation of the differences/importance - I'd like to know too ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.