T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i make a realistic single color screen of a horror movie characters face? here is a link to a shirt with a perfect example of what im trying to do:
Pin Head

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Moe, I Believe he said "here is a link to a shirt with a perfect example of what im trying to do:Pin Head" and Not this is the image I am trying to do! Why dont we all worry about what is being printed in are own shop and not be so quick to police eachother. Evilstink, You will want to convert your image to grayscale then depending if you have a rip program convert your image to bitmap. You will probably have to invert your image If you are printing on a black T. Hope that helps...Thomas

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey Moe, I Believe he said "here is a link to a shirt with a perfect example of what im trying to do:Pin Head" and Not this is the image I am trying to do! Why dont we all worry about what is being printed in are own shop and not be so quick to police eachother. Evilstink, You will want to convert your image to grayscale then depending if you have a rip program convert your image to bitmap. You will probably have to invert your image If you are printing on a black T. Hope that helps...Thomas
You're right, he did say that. And in the sentence right before that one he said, "How do i make a realistic single color screen of a horror movie characters face?"

Now, I don't know about you, but I haven't made many horror movies myself, nor do I own the rights to any characters from horror movies. He (or his client) may, which is why I explained the technique he would use with a character he owns and why I said it was illegal UNLESS HE WAS LICENSED.

I come on this site not just to learn, but to help those whose questions I know the answers to. I'm not trying to "police" anyone. I wanted to give this guy some information that could save him some legal trouble and/or from losing his shirt (literally and figuratively) by printing a movie character that he doesn't have the rights to. As you may know, but he may not, ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.

I feel sorry for you that you don't think it's important to help people with that type of information. Perhaps you feel that way because you want him to be caught - one less competitor. Whatever your motive, I'm not going to stop spreading the information I've learned just because a few people such as yourself want to be isolationists. If you only care about what goes on in your own shop, why are you here and why are you posting? If everyone felt as you seem to, this forum would be empty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
SMOE: Its too bad that you are so ignorant that you forgot to think its possible he owns the rights to a "horror movie characters face". Its simple, he was asking how to print something not is it illegal to print something! Now if he asked if its illegal I have no issue with your genius anwser, my issue is with people trying to police everyone on here. I thought it was a free country, People should be allowed to do as they please even if its illegal so yes its nice of you to tell people the laws of the land but I dont walk around saying hey its illegal to do this when someone didn't even ask. Next time someone wants to know if they can print something that they dont own I will refer them to the sheriff, Next time someone wants to know how to print something just anwser the question. Thats all I ask...And cheers to Ole Jobe for only seeing what he wants to see! THE END

·
Registered
274 Posts
SMOE: Its too bad that you are so ignorant that you forgot to think its possible he owns the rights to a "horror movie characters face".
I suggest you go back and read what I wrote, because I really don't think you did.

In my first post I wrote, "if you wanted to print an image of a character that you owned that had that shading in one color, you would want to print it with halftones."

In my second post I wrote, "Now, I don't know about you, but I haven't made many horror movies myself, nor do I own the rights to any characters from horror movies. He (or his client) may, which is why I explained the technique he would use with a character he owns and why I said it was illegal UNLESS HE WAS LICENSED."

In both posts I said he could do it if he owned the rights. How many people do I have to respond to that can't read (or spell, apparently). As I said, I was just trying to save this guy some trouble. If you don't like it, I suggest you ignore it and move on. Otherwise, maybe next time you should read the full posts and actually understand what it is you're reading before chiming in with your wisdom of the ages.

Cheers to Ol Lavish909 for only seeing what he wants to see!

THE END.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The simplest, and most correct thing would be to stay on topic. You are either going to stiple it in Photoshop or half tone it with a postscript printer. Invert the grey scale image and print with white ink. I personally would go half tone :)
p.s. I'm willing to bet you know what plagerism is and would choose not to. :)

Reactions: MotoskinGraphix

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how explaining to someone that what they're proposing to do may be illegal is off topic. I'm also sorry that there are those of you who don't think that's something important enough to tell someone, regardless of what you assume they do or do not know.

For my day job I work at a promotional products company. You would be surprised at how many pieces of artwork we receive from clients that are completely illegal to print (Yankees logo, Superman's logo, etc.). You would think people would realize that this is illegal but they don't. If my company were to print those, we would open ourselves up to major copyright infringement lawsuits, just as EVILSTINK would were he to print images that he doesn't own the rights to. If that's information that you don't think is relevant to a discussion whose title is "How do i make a realistic single color screen of a horror movie characters face?" then I guess I just see things differently.

Forgive me for thinking that someone asking his first question on a forum would not know something, when I see on a daily basis that many people also don't know the same thing.

·
Registered
828 Posts
can we just close this thread already?? There were only 2 posts that actually answered the posters question.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First off let me welcome EVILSTINK to the forum. Quite the thread for his first post. And second if you guys are as old as dirt like me, you might take into consideration that he might be talking about some of the older horror movies that are now public domain.

Just a thought
Jim

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
You are either going to stiple it in Photoshop or half tone it with a postscript printer. Invert the grey scale image and print with white ink. I personally would go half tone :)
you can halftone in photoshop also ;]

there's other options also if you'd like to take a more artistic approach. using 1 color effects can produce really cool 1 color photo prints. example, try the wood cut effect.

The Pinhead print example looks like a poorly done halftone print (very blotchy) but i don't think it's a real print, just looks like a mockup.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have taken photos of people and screen printed them using this process:

First convert the photo to greyscale and make any changes you want to the image, sometimes you need to darken or lighten parts of the image to get the effect you want. I like to have the image at 150 dpi. Increase the contrast.

Second if you are in Corel Photo-Paint go - image - convert to black and white, conversion method - Floyd-Steinburg and that will give you a black and white pixilated version of the image. You will probably need to lower the intensity setting to keep the blacks really black. In Photoshop you would use indexing. I like Corel for this, myself.

You will have to fool around with the settings and the original image to get it to look just right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The simplest, and most correct thing would be to stay on topic. You are either going to stiple it in Photoshop or half tone it with a postscript printer. Invert the grey scale image and print with white ink. I personally would go half tone
How does one stiple in screen printing, I am on the heat transfer side of my company so I dont do any of the screening but I read the threads about it, and would really like to know.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
How does one stiple in screen printing
using a bitmap editor like Adobe Photoshop, you convert your image into a bitmaped diffusion dither patter. The steps are as follows

open image in photoshop, set your desired resolution and size (your image resolution dictates the size of the dithered square dot), convert to grayscale and adjust image as needed.
now we convert to bitmap, Image>Mode>bitmap
you will be prompted now with settings, output should be the resolution you want.
180ppi and over gives fine detail, lower will give you a more stippled effect (larger square dots), at 100ppi the image will look like a pointillist painting.
for 'Method' choose Diffusion Dither and click enter.
done

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
In Photoshop:
1) Image, Mode, Greyscale, Bitmap, Diffusion dither

A diffusion dither is a random dot halftone that simulates continuous tones by placing small mezzotint like dots closer or further appart.

If it looks good on the monitor it will go a little dark from dot gain. So lighten the blacks in curves. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts