T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I make a piece of black and white vector clip art transparent? I want the white part so that it has no color and can be placed on another object and you can see through it. I'm using corel x4.

· Registered
605 Posts
Select each white area in your vector art, then click the color box with an "X" in it, usually it is the first color in the palette.
This will remove the fill color and leave it transparent.

Reactions: lben
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
select it with what? I was trying to use the smart fill tool to fill it in with pantone transparent white but that didn't work. when i select my smart fill tool it doesn't allow me to pick the no color fill. please tell me step by step how to select the white and fill with no color. Thanks for your reply!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the masking thing and it worked but i didn't want to have to convert it to a bitmap. if i use the masking how do i get it back to vector once im finished so that i can seperate using my simple seps software?

· Registered
9,864 Posts
try effects->lens->transparency

so how do you do it? I tried the power clip thing and didn't have any luck..
Place the vector or raster object inside the container. It won't be inside the container yet but drag it to the position you want it to be. Select effects then powerclip. Finally click the containery

· Registered
605 Posts
select it with what?
Place your cursor over the area you want, then left click to select.
If you need to select multiple areas, then hold down the shift key while you select all the areas required.

But, it also depends on how your original image was created as to whether the background will show through when the transparent fill is selected.

You will know what I mean when you select transparent fill and the selected area appears to change to black or another color I your art.

See the attachment for more info.
Hope this helps.

I was trying to use the smart fill tool to fill it in with pantone transparent white but that didn't work. when i select my smart fill tool it doesn't allow me to pick the no color fill. please tell me step by step how to select the white and fill with no color. Thanks for your reply!!!
Don't use smart fill, it creates a new object based on the area to be filled.
It is a very handy tool in many situations, but not for what you want to do.

Also post a screenshot of your art, if you can.

Attachments

· Registered
144 Posts
You should delete the parts you don't want. Click it and hit the delete key. If the object has an outline it should instead have "no fill" as already mentioned.

The real fun starts when you have "holes" in your art that aren't actually holes. For instance, a black donut that, instead of a hole in the middle, has a white circle. It looks loke a hole on a white background, but not on a blue background. IF you delete the "hole" it shows the black of the larger circle. If you color it in with the "no fill" color, it still shows the black underneath. The solution: Click the white "hole", then shift-click the black donut shape, then click Arrange->Shaping->Trim. If the white hole is still there (depends on your settings), delete it. Now you have an actual hole.

Now the super fun starts when the "hole" is overlaying multiple objects and when you have a lot of holes, and when objects of different types (holes and non-holes) or stacked in random orders.

Good luck with that.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Then you have a solid object behind the white object. You can use the "back minus front" tool.
In the example below, the blue outline is actually a solid object shaped like the leter "P"...
If I make the white transparent then it will shor MORE of the blue that lays behind it.
We have to remove the white object from the blue object so teh background can show through.

1. make sure everything is ungrouped, then select & duplicate the white object
2. select the white object and the object below that you want to trim
3. click the "back minus front" button while both objects are selected./

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.