T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I have a bmp that I want to be able to use to have transfers made for t shirts. Everywhere I have contacted has come back with a price tag out of this world. I am new to this and don't understand what or how to do what needs to be done. Can anyone help me out? Do I need to trace the image and then color it in layers or what? Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Re: artwork help

:confused:I have a bmp that I want to be able to use to have transfers made for t shirts. Everywhere I have contacted has come back with a price tag out of this world. I am new to this and don't understand what or how to do what needs to be done. Can anyone help me out? Do I need to trace the image and then color it in layers or what? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Did they say *why* the price was out of this world?

Were there artwork fees or something or was it the number of colors in the design or was it the quantity of transfers that you're ordering?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, one place said it would be a $60 art charge, that is ok. Then they said they would have to redraw the design. I thought that was what the art charge was for but guess not. Anyway it turned out that I would have to buy nearly 1000 transfers for something like $28 each. One other place quoted me around $11 each for several hundred transfers.This could be either a 3 or 4 color design. I guess I am dumb. I don't understand why so expensive. It really makes a beginner have second thoughts. I lost everything I had in the flood of 2008 and am still trying to rebuild. I cannot afford those prices. Any ideas?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A couple of things are important. First, your image needs to meet minimum requirements to be used to create a transfer at the size you are requesting. If it does not meet the requirements, then you will have substantial art department charges. Then depending on the type of transfer you are wanting to have made, there can be a number of other issues involved in getting your final product.

How big do you want your image to be on the garment? What kind of transfer are you wanting to use?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this can be made so it only has 3 or 4 colors. Things would be solid colors instead of having highlights to them. I want transfers for light and darks, cotton, cotton/poly blends, full fronts. That is the best info I can give because that is all I understand about the process at this time. I have coredraw, but have not learned how to make the changes needed. I'll keep trying. Thank you to all of you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just scanned this in. It does have several colors now, but doesn't need to. Most of the lettering is going to be deleted.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts

Ok. I think I got it done. I don't need the lettering or the shading and highlighting.
What I would do is send the file to Eric over at http://www.vectordoctor.com/ and have him redraw/retrace the logo and ask him to bring the number of colors down to 3 or 4.

He can work from all kinds of files and does great, fast, and cost effective work. Probably cost you $30 or less.

He'll send you a high quality vector file that you can then send to the transfer companies and save their higher priced artwork charges.

You'll also have a file that has less colors which will save you some money on the printing.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I want transfers for light and darks, cotton, cotton/poly blends, full fronts.
Rodney's recommendation should take care of your art issues. Then, for what you want, I think plastisol transfers with an underbase (so they will work on darks) is the right answer for your garment types and colors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts