T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have this customer who was recomenede through a family member. On friday of last week we spoke on some shirts that we agreed on $6 A shirt for 3 colors on 36 black tultex shirts . I know this cheap but my relitive had told me if i can give him a price break and at this price i was still making a profit and looked at is as a potential returning client he gave me a deposit and i told him ill send the mock up for aproval on monday . So monday comes around and i send it and everything is good . He tells me if ican put the design of a sticker he gave on the back i tought the design was simple enough and said yea it was about 4 inches wide and one inch high one color . I Then sent him the mock up of the back and he said if i could put it across the whole back and make it white backround with green on top . the file he sent me was not this size or color . I told him yeah i could do that but would have to charge him 1.50 more per shirt . He then takes a couple days to get back to me . today my cousin texted me that if i could hook him up on a better deal i told him no that i was limiting my profit at that .I then get an email form the client who says he doesnt want to pay extra that he can get 3 colors front 2 colors back on american apparel . i tell him i doubt that and to shop around maybe taht way hell see the bargain im giving him i also tell him his deposit is non refundable as i already wasted time ordered the shirts and screens ect. ect. he says in the reply that it is what it is and that just so i know he has a guy that will do them for 6 bucks. the whole situation discouraged me and put me in a bad mood . i really dont even want to do his shirts but already put the money into buying the suplllies . im new to this business and know this kind of stuff happends just dont know how to handle it properly .

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Your first rookie mistake was giving him a "deal" in the first place. Then adding a small back print free was the second mistake. You give customers one small thing, they'll take advantage of you and take the whole world from you if they could. If the guy down the road does crap for $6 tell him to go there. Never ever lower your price for potential "future" orders, rookie mistake three.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I agree. I can not walk into any of my customers businesses and get a deal, so I don't give them. My price is my price and I will not barter. Don't see what is left to do. You told him his deposit was lost so move on. The deposit I get form my customers covers all the supplies so the only thing lost is my time. Hopefully the deposit you got will cover your expenses so far. Chalk it up as lesson learned and move on.
Also tell your family members you don't give deals so don't call expecting one. That's what I do. It kills me that my family members will pay a strangers fee without hassles, but want me to do it for practically free.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I'm confused...you said he found someone else to do it for $6 so why is he still using your services? Is it because of the deposit he paid? When you told him his deposit was non-refundable you said his response was "It is was it is" I assumed he didn't care.
So now he wants you to do the shirts????

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah after i told him his deposit was non refundable he said it is what it is and to go ahead and do the shirt with the back for 7.50 and he would pay me when delivered. I dont know if it was because of the deposit or just a bluff to see if i would go down on the price. He then Again after i asked to make sure that we were both on the same understanding on the new price he repyed yes and again told me that just so i know he can get them for six dollars on aa shirt and not tultex . why he stated that idk lol. it gets me heated.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Just tell him there is more profit in keeping his 50% and doing nothing further. You do not want to work with him if he does not appreciate or value your services.

Then call Uncle Billy and tell him to kiss your... well you know! Tell him this guy sis a jerk and he should choose his friends better. And tell him to send his future referrals to the $6 AA guy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats what i wasplanning on doing but i would be stuck with the inventory or im not sure if tsc takes orders back . I wanted to just tell him heres your deposit and thats that not sure how to do this though . also was i charging way to low . what would be average . i know no one can charge $6 on american apparel and still be making money for just 36 shirts .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Moral of the story...never do deals. We have fallen in to the "family" type deal way to many times and lost out. i just did a stick take and found 50 shirts here 50 there that family had ordered but never paid. There are good retail customers out there... use there business.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You will meet a person like this again. They will cheer you up and say how good you are and the world is beautiful. When you think you are on top of the world they ask for a discount. Feeling good and all this, you will give him the discount. After that they demand more and more. After everything is done. you discover it was not worth it or you might have lost money in the deal.

I hang all my mistakes on a wall, so all my workers can see it. If a customer ask me for a deal like, fast job, special discounts. I just point at the wall and tell them a story why I can't accept the order.

you are not the only one. so cheer up and learn from it.:p:p:p

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats what i wasplanning on doing but i would be stuck with the inventory or im not sure if tsc takes orders back . I wanted to just tell him heres your deposit and thats that not sure how to do this though . also was i charging way to low . what would be average . i know no one can charge $6 on american apparel and still be making money for just 36 shirts .
tsc will take the shirts back. tell your customer that you feel the price that he agreed on is no longer working for him. with him adding a back after the fact is not as simple as print a little extra on the same shirt. you may as well have another order for 36 different shirts. tell him he agreed on the price and gave a deposit to move forward. you purchased shirts and did whatever else. tell him you understand if he found someone cheaper than you. tell him the time you have invested will cost him x.xx and the restocking fee will cost him x.xx. sorry i could not make you happy with the price you agreed on. where do i send the check for your remaining balance. then when he still wants you to print the job, tell him it is delayed now from his uncertainty. i would also tell him because he is so unstable with his decision making process that you would be more comfortable with full payment before you start the job. next time that customer tells you someone else is cheaper, tell him your Ferrari need new tires

·
Registered
10 Posts
what is tsc, a supplier im assuming. My 2cents, shine that guy... chances of getting paid in full at the end are slim to none

·
Registered
19 Posts
tsc will take the shirts back. tell your customer that you feel the price that he agreed on is no longer working for him. with him adding a back after the fact is not as simple as print a little extra on the same shirt. you may as well have another order for 36 different shirts. tell him he agreed on the price and gave a deposit to move forward. you purchased shirts and did whatever else. tell him you understand if he found someone cheaper than you. tell him the time you have invested will cost him x.xx and the restocking fee will cost him x.xx. sorry i could not make you happy with the price you agreed on. where do i send the check for your remaining balance. then when he still wants you to print the job, tell him it is delayed now from his uncertainty. i would also tell him because he is so unstable with his decision making process that you would be more comfortable with full payment before you start the job. next time that customer tells you someone else is cheaper, tell him your Ferrari need new tires
two thumbs up :):)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
This is your first....there will be many more chiselers like this guy, they might not all be referrals from family either, the one thing they will all have in common is that they want a deal on this job and will bring you much more work, and if you balk at the price they want to pay they have someone else who will do it for less then you.

If you learn nothing else from this it's never deal, or let the customer set the price he will pay for your services...never, ever! There's nothing wrong with giving deals or special rates at times but do it on your terms only! When I have a customer like this and have quoted a price to, but he comes back with "can you do it for this?" (lower price then quoted) I always reply with "no but I can do it for this" (much higher price then quoted) they get the point really quick that I'm not going to be a push-over.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agreeing to a deal as a favor for a relative or a friend is a BIG BIG mistake. It always landed me in trouble. They always want more and they take and take until there's nothing left of your enthusiasm or excitement. Don't feel bad because you fell for it, we all do at some point. Just don't make deals that are so unfair to you and your efforts. Those kinds of deals are usually followed by ungrateful people. If you make a habit of it, you'll burn out quickly before you even realize your true potential. You're already feeling guilty. STOP FEELING GUILTY. When your relatives ask you for a deal, tell them that you are trying to start a business, a struggling business, and they should show you some support. Them not asking for favors that will cost you is their support. Better yet, tell them if they really want to do favors for their friend, you're OK with it. You'll give a discount. As long as they pay you the difference.​

·
Registered
17 Posts
This customer is a clown who wants to be entertained....don't entertain him. Ive met him many times before. You're not in this business to make friends, you here to make money. T-shirtguru summed it up in a nut shell. Out 17 years in business, I've had probably 1000 or more customers to say, in effect, "if you cut me a deal I'll give you a lot more business" or "I have a lot of contacts to refer". I've only seen about .07% of those deals pan out...and it wasn't because I gave them a discount. I know at this point that you just want this to go away. I'm not sure if you're saying that he wants you to complete the job. If so, you have 1 of 2 options. 1. Assuming you had him to sign off on a no refund contract, stand your ground and finish the job at $7.50 per shirt (I've got to say it.....waay too low) and savage what you can from this (including "lesson learned). 2. Refund the deposit and savage what you can from this (including "lesson learned). I know it's not much help but the objective here is to get this guy out of your life and you can start new with a fresh perspective. And remember this.....Deals always cost you money. Trust me, you will will often end up paying the customer to do their work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all you guys tomorrow i will call him and tell him i have his deposit and that i do not wanna complete the job. I did make him sign a no refund agreement should i have is there some sort of form i should carry with all the terms. Wisdon thanks for that it was very helpful. and thanks to all i will let you guys know how it plays off. today i talked to my cousin who had reffered him and he told me the guy was crazy that he does not have a guy who can do them that cheap and was very angry at the way he acting as a small business owner who should understand . so one more question if he later contacts me for a price quote what do i tell him i want my shop to be professional but how do you reject a customer in a polite manner . i know he will be trying to contact me to do the job again. i know some one mentioned something earlier in the thread but is there another way that would be more direct.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
It's your choice, if he calls and you know it's him either give him a inflated price because you know he's going to be a PIA, or just give him your normal price you would charge anyone else, of course you have the right to tell him you are way too busy to get to him in a timely manner and that he would be better going on down the road.

Just be professional in how ever you deal with the situation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks to all you guys tomorrow i will call him and tell him i have his deposit and that i do not wanna complete the job. I did make him sign a no refund agreement should i have is there some sort of form i should carry with all the terms. Wisdon thanks for that it was very helpful. and thanks to all i will let you guys know how it plays off. today i talked to my cousin who had reffered him and he told me the guy was crazy that he does not have a guy who can do them that cheap and was very angry at the way he acting as a small business owner who should understand . so one more question if he later contacts me for a price quote what do i tell him i want my shop to be professional but how do you reject a customer in a polite manner . i know he will be trying to contact me to do the job again. i know some one mentioned something earlier in the thread but is there another way that would be more direct.
If he comes back get paid upfront and charge him what you want. he will probably go down the street and pay more and tell your cousin he is paying less. people like that enjoy trying to make people like you feel bad. Just do a good job, charge a fair price. There is plenty of business out there.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Tell him this...

"Uncle Billy warned me that you were a cheap back stabbing dirty rotten bastard.... I wish I had listened to him. I thought you were Ok when we first met but I guess he was right about you. "

That way you get even with Uncle Billy too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts