Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
all those sites are made for the affiliate links, they use keywords to trick the unsuspecting/naive interweb users
they do this for every product under the sun

they are not made by someone who has used the printers listed for sublimation
i mean they have the kodak selphy listed as a good printer for sublimating t-shirts

as mgparrish mentioned in this thread:
you CANNOT use a canon pixma for sublimation, it is the wrong printhead technology

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You, and many others, are confused because Canon make the 'Selphy ' so-called 'sublimation' printer for printing out photos. It uses entirely different technology that has been sadly misnamed as sublimation.

Canon printers can NOT be converted to dye sublimation as we know it. Please read the following...

Are Canon Printers Good for Sublimation?
Canon makes answering this question easy. No, Canon printers cannot be used for sublimation or converted to be used for sublimation. They use thermal printing technology which would negatively impact sublimation ink.

But what about the Canon Sublimation printer? I know, I know,…most people have heard that Canon makes a dye sublimation printer and it confuses people for obvious reasons.

The Canon Dye Sublimation Selphy Printers (link to check product) are the coolest little desktop printers but they are not sublimation printers. Rather, they use sublimation ink and a built-in heater to sublimate your photos onto clear film. They do not allow you to insert paper and print out sublimation prints.

Conclusion: You Cannot use Canon printers for Sublimation and don’t be confused by Canon’s sublimation desktop photo printer.

Hope that helps. My advice - forget about Canon for sublimation and don't believe everything you read in reviews without thoroughly checking out the facts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
all those sites are made for the affiliate links, they use keywords to trick the unsuspecting/naive interweb users
they do this for every product under the sun

they are not made by someone who has used the printers listed for sublimation
i mean they have the kodak selphy listed as a good printer for sublimating t-shirts

as mgparrish mentioned in this thread:
you CANNOT use a canon pixma for sublimation, it is the wrong printhead technology
ok. I’m new to sublimation. I didn’t know. I bought my canon printerBased on these sites for sublimation. I haven’t tried sublimation paper with it I’ve been using heat transfer paper and my heat press and it makes great shirts. I wasn’t meaning to sound rude. I was just confused based on what I had read. Thanks for the information

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
ok. I’m new to sublimation. I didn’t know. I bought my canon printerBased on these sites for sublimation. I haven’t tried sublimation paper with it I’ve been using heat transfer paper and my heat press and it makes great shirts. I wasn’t meaning to sound rude. I was just confused based on what I had read. Thanks for the information
no problem

my issue is with these sites looking official and claiming knowledge they do not have

sublimation paper will not do anything with regular canon dye inks

have you done any wash/dry tests with your canon (12 should be your minimum before selling)
there is some indication dye inks will bleed out of the design with normal washing and drying

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It's a shame you've been led down the garden path and duped into buying a printer that's not fit for purpose.

Canon make great printers, so the one you have bought may still come in handy for many other things, but for sublimation you should be looking mainly at Epson, Ricoh, or some Brother machines. Sawgrass printers are very popular but are basically just overpriced Ricoh's and Sawgrass inks are prohibitively expensive. Although I use Ricoh printers myself, I'd probably advise you to start out with an Epson, which is a popular choice for most dye-subbers and excellent, cheap compatible inks will cut your costs while making a great job of your prints.

For printing heat transfers you should really be using a printer with pigment, not dye inks. The Canon's usually only have a pigment black, with the other colours being dye. As into the T has said, do a good few wash tests of your products if you intend selling any. Selling prints made with ordinary dye-based inks will come back to bite you.

Also, be aware of the limits of sublimation when applying to garments. The fabric MUST contain a large percentage of polyester for sublimation to work, typically 50 to 100%. Best prints are obtained on pure white, 100% polyester. Poly/cotton mixes can be sublimated and look great when they come out of the press, but the ink will wash straight out of the cotton fibres after the very first wash, leaving a faded 'retro' look to the garment.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts