T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is pretty basic but I've never done it. See attached image. How do I do this type of outline in Corel Draw without a second color, just black.

For example; black text, space, outline. The contour tool wants me to put a color inbetween.
I realize I can use the contour tool and just not print the middle color, but I'm wondering if there's another way to elimate that for proof purposes.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
This is pretty basic but I've never done it. See attached image. How do I do this type of outline in Corel Draw without a second color, just black.

For example; black text, space, outline. The contour tool wants me to put a color inbetween.
I realize I can use the contour tool and just not print the middle color, but I'm wondering if there's another way to elimate that for proof purposes.
you use the contour tool. twice.

using only 1 step for the contour, not 2 steps. this eliminates that middle color you referred to.

create your text.
copy/paste a second copy of the text.

on the front copy, create a 1 step white contour.
one the back copy create a larger 1 step black contour.

so, you end up with black text/white contour, sitting on top of black text with a larger black contour.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Convert the text to outlines if you haven't already, then create an offset, stroke it, then convert the offset to outlines (I think the current tool is "expand appearance", I haven't used Illustrator since 10)

If you're printing and not cutting you probably don't have to convert the stroke to outlines.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think he's using CorelDraw not Illustrator, but in Illustrator you'd just put two strokes on the same live text using the appearance palette. One white, one black. No need to convert to paths or other steps. Illustrator allows you to stroke a single object including Live text as many times as you want.

In CorelDraw you can stroke the text with white, copy it to clipboard, paste back in and move it to back, then stroke it again with black.

·
Registered
732 Posts
here's an example for you, in corel draw, which is what you said you were using.

the back copy, has a .07 contour in black.
the front copy, has a .05 contour in blue.

when on top of each other, you get the effect you were looking for.

not sure about the expand appearance.. that's for illustrator?

this is the easiest way i have found.. and was a 3 or 4 page article in impressions magazine a few months back, detailing this method.

if you needed a 3rd or 4th, you just do that many more layers of the text. they explained this in particular for sports text.

i've attached a jpg and the cdr file for corel draw x4.

hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, thanks guys. I guess I can always just try and match the color to the garment on the smaller outline for the proofs.
The thing was basically not having that smaller outline there and the shirt color coming through on the proof I send via email.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, thanks guys. I guess I can always just try and match the color to the garment on the smaller outline for the proofs.
The thing was basically not having that smaller outline there and the shirt color coming through on the proof I send via email.
Just so I'm not confusing everyone. The customer only wants one color; the black text and the black outline. So I needed to get rid of the inside outline, that would be the color of the shirt.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just so I'm not confusing everyone. The customer only wants one color; the black text and the black outline. So I needed to get rid of the inside outline, that would be the color of the shirt.
just make it whatever color the background is or the color of the shirt, etc...

just like you explained it.

if im doing a proof for a customer. black ink on a light blue shirt.. then i would do black text. with a light blue outline and the back text would have the black outline.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
just make it whatever color the background is or the color of the shirt, etc...

just like you explained it.

if im doing a proof for a customer. black ink on a light blue shirt.. then i would do black text. with a light blue outline and the back text would have the black outline.

in corel ....

type out the word.... make a copy...on the first one put a black stroke on it...on the copy put a smaller white stroke on it....done!
try this.....

Inked

·
Registered
638 Posts
Go back to using contour then.
Contour outside two steps,
Break Apart Contour and Ungroup,
Select the first outline contour and
Trim the second,
Then delete the first outline.

You will be left with an object that is nothing but the second outline and a gap where the first outline used to be. You would use this method if you were planning to cut vinyl as well.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
making it waaay too complicated.

this should be coreldraw 101.

i guess you call it contour in corel but most printers and graphics people call it a stroke. you can type out text and add an outline (or stroke or contour) to that text (once selected) in any color, including the color of the shirt. the body of the text is called the 'fill' color. the outline is the stroke or 'contour'.

if you duplicate the black fill text which has a stroke or contour of the tshirt color and paste it behind the original, you will not see it at first. a lot of this depends on selecting and locking things off as not to interrupt you in upcoming tasks. copy the original text that is filled with black and stroked or contoured with the color of the tshirt, then lock it so you can't edit IT. then you should be able to select the copy of it. in some color palette window it should show you once selected the color of the fill and the stroke. change the fill to the color of the shirt and change the stroke to black. then use the stroke or contour size window to increase in increments of points until it's the size you like.

you can then delete the fill on that copy and it will leave you with just the stroke/outline/contour. then unlock everything. select the original text which had the stroke of the tshirt color and delete the stroke. so now you have the original text in black and a stroke in black with the spacing between the two. group the two together. you can now move it onto a tshirt template or anything else and color will show through between the gaps.

wow. maybe i just made it too complicated. not familiar with coreldraw but there are different ways to completing a task in most programs. depends on how you were taught and what you feel comfortable doing.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hope the attached is not to confusing.

For proof purposes, I would just use eyedropper to get shirt color and drop it onto white area

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.