T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay we all had to start off at the bottom, but I feel like im getting no where. At first I wanted to just do this for fun. and I can come up with a ton of things to do for myself, my family and my wife and her family but i really really do want to make money at this.. So far ive had like 15 sales, since Valentines day when I got my cutter. Ive only sold to friends. and people me and my wife know (family friends)

I have a facebook page,Instagram,a ecwid website.
But i feel noone is seeing any of this. I have tried to post under the local facebook groups and so far nothing not a single customer. I have the website on the front of my truck.. My Company's name on the back glass of my truck and all kinda stuff on my truck i feel like its a rolling advertisement but still no sales.
Since i gotten into this hobby/Business Ive made so many new accounts on different sites, but i also have a couple decals for sale on my personal Ebay site w/o luck One thing is i'm not sure how people on Ebay and on Etsy are able to sell decals for $2 with free shipping... I know I can't make them that cheap and shipping cost something.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am mostly trying to sell custom decals 6x6-10x10 I designed myself and or T shirts i offer White,light and dark gray shirts with mono gram or a saying on them

Just not sure what else to do... Does anyone know if the Paid Boosting on Facebook works? I don't mind spending a lil money for advertising it if will work.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
The US government, via the USPS, subsidizes shipping from China.

There are so many sellers on etsy it's really hard to be found unless you advertise.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey Eprcvinyls ,its pippin from the other forum group uscutter. I use the promoting thing on facebook all the time when needed and works great. What i did at first was use my own facebook page then created a business page and started to share that as well join all local groups in my area and post samples etc. Get a couple friends to buy some. They should start mentioning what you do to others as well which then falls into place.

And like seacookie mentioned about china,very true. Plus if you buy china vinyl quality you can lower prices way way low. Once they are sold its out of your hands, Many people donot know or cant tell the difference between the quality of good and crap vinyl until a couple months go by and the vinyl starts to lift or fall off. By then its to late for them to file a claim against you, And by then you have sold thousands lol.

By the way im still on the uscutter forum just under a new name doing what i do best. Helping others every day.

·
Registered
768 Posts
And like seacookie mentioned about china,very true. Plus if you buy china vinyl quality you can lower prices way way low. Once they are sold its out of your hands, Many people don't know or cant tell the difference between the quality of good and crap vinyl until a couple months go by and the vinyl starts to lift or fall off. By then its to late for them to file a claim against you, And by then you have sold thousands lol.
So your suggesting to the OP to buy poor quality vinyl and sell it to customers because he will be able to get away with it longer then they have to file a claim? That is a pretty shady business practice.

Your not offering good business advice. This is not a long term business plan...to scam people. This is exactly what is wrong with the industry.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Thinking small and lack of knowledge is the main problem.Fixating on making a little bit of money as fast as possible, without any preparation or knowledge is not going to get you off the ground. Everybody can come up with a ton of things to do. Doing them is the hard part, and the only part that counts.

Decals:

The decals sold for $2 are not necessarily from China and here is why:
1. A standard letter within the US cost less than 30 cents if you are sending a lot.

2. Vinyl decals are not necessarily printed on sheet vinyl, and certainty not on the retail priced one you are buying. Also Vinyl sheets are not really vinyl, but polyurethane or PVC, which used to be liquid emulsion at some point.

Anyway, these decals are most likely offset printed on a very cheap transparent film, and then have a PVC or polyurethane white layer and glue applied on top. This is a very cost effective process and the cost per 6x6 decal is probably less than 4 cents. For smaller runs solvent printers are used instead of offset.

Personally I would not bother with decals... too much work, small profits, and low demand.

T-Shirts:
They have become way too common. Everyone can now buy a $4,000 DTG printer and start printing. Not as easy as it looks, but some people do eventually produce decent results. Then they are faced with the biggest problem... How to sell what they are making.
Again everyone is fixating on selling online. Yes selling online does work but up to a point. Usually you have to be selling what people are looking for, OR be able to sell through the big online retailers, OR sell on Ebay, Amazon and Etsy and pay their advertising fee on top of the listing and selling fees. The last one is the easy but expensive way to do it.

You have to be prepared to pay up to 50% of the selling price in fees and advertising. If you can do this and still make a profit then you have a working business model.

How did I get here:

Personally I decided that hate selling retail from the very beginning, and I also realized that the best way to make T-shirts is actually the cheapest way. Screen-printing. I've tried all the other ways, and believe me they are mostly a waste of time. Things have changed a bit lately, but still screen-printing produces the most durable result on cotton and cotton blend, which are the most popular T-shirts fabrics. I make around 250 shirts once or twice a week, 6-7 months per year. The rest of the year I'm on holiday...like right now. Sometimes I make $0 per shirt and sometimes I make $10, but on average I make around $8. How long does it take to make 250 t-shirts? 2-3 hours. Who do I sell to? Basically to anyone who is willing to buy 250 shirts of the same design. As easy as that! What I do the rest of the time? I make other things. Some fashion related, and some not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the replys and I agree not all of the $2 decals are coming from China there are plenty of sales on those sites i said in first post and not from china some on other sites they they don't care if they make anything cause its from leftovers well that is fine but it still seems like a waste of time to sell that cheap and it makes it hard for someone to want to buy mine that might be $8 over someones who is $2 and like one said they don't understand mine will last longer they just see saving the $6.

T shirts I feel its a thing of coming up with what someone will buy but then again i put in all ads i can do just about any design you want as long as its not Copyright. Ive had someone want a Team logo for a decal and i told them i don't do copyright. lot of people do. One day someone be knocking on their door wont be my issue.

I guess I will keep posting in local Facebook groups hoping someone will see my ad and contact me.

Thanks again

·
Registered
168 Posts
A search on etsy for "your text here" t-shirts turns up 100,000 hits. How are you going to differentiate yourself among the crowd?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Sorry to be the one to tell you this but the only way to 'get out there,' as you say, is to actually 'get out there.'

Too many people are lazy these days and think ebay, etsy, or a website owes them a living. Get out in your local area first. Do markets, craft fairs, contact local businesses, gift shops, etc. Make up samples with their logo on and be prepared to offer good discounts to get your foot in the door. Believe me, it's far better than sitting back twiddling your thumbs and wondering if an order is ever going to come in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to be the one to tell you this but the only way to 'get out there,' as you say, is to actually 'get out there.'

Too many people are lazy these days and think ebay, etsy, or a website owes them a living. Get out in your local area first. Do markets, craft fairs, contact local businesses, gift shops, etc. Make up samples with their logo on and be prepared to offer good discounts to get your foot in the door. Believe me, it's far better than sitting back twiddling your thumbs and wondering if an order is ever going to come in.

Thanks, that is why i started the thread so others could give input on how they did it.. Some guys swear by the ebay store tho but i've had no luck seems just so many are already selling.. And maybe that is the issue period is this Business really big enough to have 20 people in one town doing it? I mean how do gas stations and dollar generals survive you see them everywhere but yet they stay open.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Where to start? Well you have already started so now the real question is "What now?"

BE SENSATIONAL!
I know that is easy for me to say, but let me explain.

What is so cool about T-shirts? I will tell you from my direct research.
EVERYBODY READS THEM!
AND if the message is SENSATIONAL, they will follow the instruction. This concept is important when you approach other business onwers with an opportunity.

I printed a black T with the message:
I SCORED!
YOU CAN TOO!
They were directed to a landing page.

I wore the T where many eyeballs existed and counted the eyeballs that looked. 40% responded. That is out of this world in regards to a marketing response rate. OF course 'I scored' is a sensational message.

What SENATIONAL message can Epic Vynals create that will get eyeballs and responses?

What I just decribed is the 'Getting Out There' that you must do. It truly is a practice of eating your own cooking.
Unless you have more money than time you need to get out there. If the latter is true, you have more money, the outcome is more like about being departed from your abundnace.

HINT: make being Sensational work for you, then offer it to business owners you know, along with the folks who will 'get out there' on their behalf.
HINT #2. Own a very simple and easily remembered URL. Direct the URL to a landing page.
HINT #3. The meek shall inherit the earth is not the best principle for growing your business. Kick your family and friends where they sit and make them get their friends to call. WOM marketing is by far the best (Word Of Mouth)
Best of success to you.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
We went to our local downtown that had 50% vacancy on retail space, made an offer on one, moved in a month later and within a year we were so busy, and still are, we couldn't keep up. Our backlog is over 3 months.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
We went to our local downtown that had 50% vacancy on retail space, made an offer on one, moved in a month later and within a year we were so busy, and still are, we couldn't keep up. Our backlog is over 3 months.

That's the way...Confidence and Determination, accompanied by prior research and a little bit of practice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that is Awesome for you. Nice when you have funds available to do such a thing however if i was to do that in the town i live in I don't think it would last. Maybe if i went to the next town over but ive seen so many businesses close and open and close in this tiny town just not enough business and most have been eat type places.

My dream would be to have a real store one day, but i need to get known first and know i can do this.. if i had a regular job and just did this on the side it be great but when trying to make it your main source of income it kinda stinks. I really enjoying this stuff that is why i wish i could really make a Go of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's not a good sign...

What is stopping you from getting a job?
I take care of my parents my father had a massive stroke 2 yrs ago and is in a wheelchair no use of his left side so cant walk or do anything, my mom is in her 70s they both are and think shes getting alzheimers (it runs on her side of the family) and needs help around the house my wife works but only a PT job i had a full time job till last yr it just got to be to much trying to work and help them out. I'm only 38 yrs old.

This type of job is something i can do in my spare time, or between helping them do whatever.

·
Registered
43 Posts
do you really want help?
i mean really want help?

your website is not great (being generous)

your about us breaks most grammar rules and portrays a less than desirable first impression

your name should be epicvinyls (easy to remember, and 99% of the time what your customers will type)
and you should have your own .com with an [email protected] email, not a gmail

do you really want help?

·
Registered
168 Posts
My father had Alzheimer's. Ten years of slow but steady decline. My sympathies to you and your family and respect to you for stepping up and helping.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.