T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have been trying to figure out lately how I can make simple bevelled lettering or lettering with highlights using layered colored vinyl (not printed). I've seen some vinyl signs done up with this effect but can't figure out how to do it. I mainly use Illustrator CS3 but also have access to Corel Draw X3 and Flexisign 8. Anyone have any tips?

To better explain what I'm trying to achieve here: I want to lay down one color of cut vinyl lettering. Then I would like to be able to add a second layer of different colored vinyl on top for a simple bevel or highlight effect.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi all. I have been trying to figure out lately how I can make simple bevelled lettering or lettering with highlights using layered colored vinyl (not printed). I've seen some vinyl signs done up with this effect but can't figure out how to do it. I mainly use Illustrator CS3 but also have access to Corel Draw X3 and Flexisign 8. Anyone have any tips?

To better explain what I'm trying to achieve here: I want to lay down one color of cut vinyl lettering. Then I would like to be able to add a second layer of different colored vinyl on top for a simple bevel or highlight effect.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Are you just speaking of an outline around the text? Your Flexi should be able to do that easily. (select object) > Effects > Outline

Or are you looking for more of a gradient effect?

Perhaps a link or pic to the effect you are describing would help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We use inkscape[free program] and flexisign 8 for all ours. Its easy when using a bold font.Just type in what you want then go to the fill/stroke editor and make your fill one color, then click stroke and make it another color and increase the pix. to however thick you want for the outline. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not talking about doing a stroke outline. I'm trying to get the effect of 3D text. Similar to what "Bevel" does in Photoshop but in a vector format, without using gradients. I'll keep looking for a pic of what I'm doing a poor job of explaining :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly what I am talking about! Is there anyway to do this with regular fonts or do you have to use pre-chiseled fonts such as the ones for sale in the links?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Jeremy, There very well could be a way, I however do not know of a method. I would think it would be much easier to use the fonts anyway. You can look around on dafont.com and other open-source font websites to maybe try to find one that fits your needs for free use.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It'a actually very easy to do, just not as easy to explain. I'll try my best. NOTE: This works best with bold fonts.
1. Type in your text.
2. Contour to the inside a very small amount(this depends on the size of your text) Just play around until it looks right to you.
3. Break apart and ungroup your inlined text.
4. Here is the fun part. Using the shape tool, add nodes to the center of each letter. This should be done with a certain degree of uniformity so the finished product looks right.
5. Using the shape tool again, and using your newly added nodes, adjust the contour to "break in the middles of the letters. Adjust as necessary, each letter will be treated differently. I know this is probably more confusing than I intend so I will post an image with the technique to hopefully make more sense.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well there ya go. Great post Mark. Me, I'd probably purchase the font pack if I had to do it often, and just needed the basic looks. If you however need something special this is a great way trick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome post astromark! I will definately give that a try.

I came across another cool technique today that I figured I'd pass along if anyone is interested. I was playing around with Flexisign today trying to figure out some highlight techniques and discovered a cool trick. Here's what I did:

1. Put some text or even on the page

2. Change the Outline tool to Inline and create and inline contour within the text

3. Separate the inline from the original text

4. Select the inline object and use the Shadow tool to make a small drop shadow

5. Separate the shadow from the inline object

6. Delete the inline object leaving the shadow and the original text

Now you can choose a color for your shadow and have some cool looking text with inner highlights. (Truth be told I came up with this technique after looking at the logo on a bag of Frito's corn chips.)

Sorry if this was confusing or uninteresting. I was pretty excited when I figured it out. This technique works great with objects and shapes, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts