T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please look at the link below and see how the color of t-shirt changes when you click on each color tab. It looks quite realistic. i.e. the t-shirt texture is not lost.
Can someone please tell me how to do that? I have t-shirts templates in blue, green and red color and I am having hard time changing colors, especially to white and black.

Any help is appreciated...

http://impweb.imprintswholesale.com...t=64000L&frames=no&target=main&sponsor=000014

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Here's one way...

Desaturate the shirt layer. Then double click the shirt layer. Choose Color Overlay. Change the Blend Mode to Overlay and then click on the color box to choose your new color.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's one way...

Desaturate the shirt layer. Then double click the shirt layer. Choose Color Overlay. Change the Blend Mode to Overlay and then click on the color box to choose your new color.
That's the way I do it, too. Then you get to keep your nice texture, no matter what color you apply. Even black can be made a 90-95% tint so that the texture comes through.

You also get the option, with this method, of using the color library when you're in the color palette dialog box to choose Pantone colors (assuming the Pantone numbers supplied by the blanks manufacturer are correct, which they often are not--I have to wonder if some of these outfits use a dartboard to choose their Pantone equivalents :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe you can also do the following:

1.) desaturate as mentioned above
2.) add adjustment layer - Hue/Saturation, group with previous layer (the one you desaturated in step 1)
3.) In the hue/saturation dialog check the "colorize" checkbox and adjust the sliders to get the desired color.

You can use multiple adjustment layers with layer masks to make multicolor (tie die) affects, or have things like the body one color and the sleeves another.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, Ive used your method of doing it but I can make the t-shirt darker than it is. But if i want to make a green t-shirt white or grey or any lighter color, it doesnt work :S
any suggestions?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can try this method...

Once you have your t-shirt file open, go to mode and change it to lab color mode.
Lab color mode will allow you to change the color but keep the luminosity.

Once the file is in lab color mode, go to image, adjustments, curves...
In the curves dialogue box change the channel to either a or b. (do not modify the curve in the light channel).

In channel a and b, you can flip the curve horizontally or vertically, etc. Or you can create a big bump in the curve and that would change the colors for you.

However this method is a trial and error to get the exact color you want. But it does change the color for you.

Once done, remember to change back to RGB as I am not sure how the color management would turn out if you stayed at the LAB color mode.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
One other way of changing the color in photoshop is go to Image>Adjustments>Replace Color. Increase Fuzziness to 200, select the color of the shirt to change color, adjust Hue slider and other sliders to desired look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts